Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Religious, Agnostic, Or Aethiest?

Poster
    I'm Catholic. I believe the Bible and go to church...
    Here's a thought for you atheists... The universe is only a few billion years old. Before that time the universe simply didn't exist... Something or someone had to put it here.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by dave@7 March 2003 - 18:46
    The universe is only a few billion years old. Before that time the universe simply didn't exist... Something or someone had to put it here.
    And what/who put that something/someone there?

In other words - who created god?

3. Lounge   -   #23
    insanebassman
    My theory:

There is a god
    it can not be proven because god is based on faith
    should proof, concrete proof, be made available, there would be no god

who is god?

who knows..... I just know it is out there waiting for another talking monkey to get board with life.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Poster
    Originally posted by dave@7 March 2003 - 17:46
    I'm Catholic. I believe the Bible and go to church...
    Here's a thought for you atheists... The universe is only a few billion years old. Before that time the universe simply didn't exist... Something or someone had to put it here.
    Actually that's not true. There is at least one reasonable explanation of what was there before the big bang. You are also treating time and space as being different, when they are not. You have to look at the universe in a spacetime sort of way. In addition you are looking at the universe in a Newtonian Cause then Effect way. That is only really true for a limited scale of thing. The very big and the very small, the very fast and the very slow act differently. At a quantum level all we can really look at is degrees of probability. We can never really know anything, it is actually quite mystical. We change a system merely by observing it. Who then is to say that we have not created the universe ourselves, by trying to observe how the universe was created. Remember cause and effect do not need to come in that order.

I love the idea of only a few Billion years old. I believe the minimum age is estimated to be 11 billion years. However that doesn't really matter. Unless you are certain that time is linear.

Think of it this way

- needs a start and an end

0 does not

My belief system may be very similar to your, it may not. However it will be based on education, research and above all faith.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Leech_Killer's Avatar Poster
    I'm a Jedi Knight.

In the 2001 census in the UK enough people entered Jedi Knight for religion. So it's been added to the list of religions.

If you don't believe me go here:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1589133.stm

6. Lounge   -   #26
    So that would be don't know. i.e. not in the survey sense, in the true sense.

e.g. what it the speed of light in furlongs per fortnight. Answer I don't know. [/QUOTE]
    You know that for sure?

In the true sense you are actually right - the more I know the more I know that I don't know.

In the survey sense - I would have missed my profession if I didn't believe in what I believe. In other words: Don't introduce rational concepts into a discussion where rational conceptualisation is inadmissable to start with. It's not quite that easy, you know...

edit: reading your last post, you do... apologies

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Poster
    Originally posted by puremindmatters@7 March 2003 - 18:19

edit: reading your last post, you do... apologies
    Ha Ha put that in your smoke and pipe it. Brain boy.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Poster
    I am agnostic,but respectful of everyone's beliefs

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Leech_Killer's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Master YodaX@7 March 2003 - 18:33
    I am agnostic,but respectful of everyone's beliefs
    I would have thought you'd have been a Jedi Knight, See above.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Originally posted by JmiF+7 March 2003 - 18:32--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JmiF @ 7 March 2003 - 18:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--puremindmatters@7 March 2003 - 18:19

edit:&nbsp; reading your last post, you do... apologies
    Ha Ha put that in your smoke and pipe it. Brain boy. [/b][/quote]
    Sadly, my boyhood days are long gone.... so are the days where I was putting anything in my smoke.
    If I&#39; d managed somehow to take you serious we&#39;d probably had a good laugh... maybe not.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast