Thread: Cant Burn

Ok first off, I have a computer PIII 1GHz with windows xp pro. Fresh fromat (because I thought it would solve my problem). I have tried three different burners and still I can not burn a cd. I have tried Primary IDE slot, Secondary IDE slot, as master as slave, different cable, the burners have been tested else where and they work.

I have tried Roxio 6, nero ultra 6 and they both see the burner, let me launch the program select audio cd, drag a bunch of mp3 files on it, it converts them to right format and we are ready to burn. So I hit the burn button, it goes to the burn screen and then just sits there, will not burn no matter how long I leave it. It will not ruin the cd, and it eventually will lock up the pc trying to burn.

I am about to throw it out the window, might be ok since it is really not my pc. Anyone got any suggestions or encountered this before. Also can I use some other type of burning software. Any recommendations welcome.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    hte whole batch of cds might be bad. try using an entirely different brand, preferably name brand.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Good try Rossco, I have used Sony CD, Memorex CD, and Verbatium as well. I just got done installing Roxio version 5 and trying with it, the light says it is burning but I do not see the status on the Roxio moving like it usually does, so more than likely it is not going to work.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    are thye cd-r or cd-rw? does it do this burning data cds also? have you tried the slowesst and fastest burn speeds? also make sure you dont have too many burning apps installed or their drivers will conflict with eachother.

musicmatch and nero 6 is an example of drivers that conflict with eachother (in my experience). if i am burning a cd i cannot be running musicmatch or else it doesnt finish the cd. (close it so that it cant have files added later)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    kazaa2002's Avatar lost
    hi Firefox,
    I think you should check the jumper settings
    on the burner it should be set to(master).

rossco's questions eliminated the media...

the bios settings for your burner should be on the secondary ide and
    set as master.
    this cable is seperate from the hd data cable, skip the connector in the middle
    (see pics in link)

I am going with this because you tried 3 different burners, check your connections
    and check condition of your ribbon cable and end connector.

here is a link that should help
    http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/insta...cd_recorder.htm

if this doesn't work we will try something else

btw--how much memory does this pc have?

it is the small things that usually drive us mad

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    also you can download the latest aspi driver from www.adaptec.com . last make sure that the drives are running on DMA not PIO. check it in device manager under your ide channel.

edit: and try to find any chipset and ide drivers from the board or chipset manufacturer.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Update drivers? Defrag, close everthing in back ground . Try burning to harddrive first?

http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/enditall/

Does the xp built in burn program work?