Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Annoying Non-sharers

powerstick's Avatar Poster
    Although it would be a good idea to show your share so other ppl will know that you share, most people won't do it. I know I won't in KaZaa or Overnet. I don't want to be sued. I am not likely to be sued if I only share one file for people to see unless they do a search and wind up showing more files from me with the same name. I don't even use KaZaa ne more because of too much fakes. I also have gotten viruses from there too alot in the past. I hate people who cut me off for supposably not sharing. As of now I am sharing 55.9 gigs and I am ripping a movie as we speak to share. I usually rip one movie a day and convert it to divx then share it on oDC and Overnet along with all of my other shares from before I ripped it. I don't show on KaZaa or Overnet that I am sharing ne thing else but ya know what? I am.... Quit disconectine me if you are....
    Make your files the smallest possible to share. If you don't you how I recomend DR. DivX. It will do it for you. We don't want to have to dl that 2.5 gig sh*t for a movie or 2 SVCD's. SMALLEST FORMAT ALWAYS!!!!!!

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by powerstick@29 February 2004 - 05:35
    Although it would be a good idea to show your share so other ppl will know that you share, most people won't do it. I know I won't in KaZaa or Overnet. I don't want to be sued. I am not likely to be sued if I only share one file for people to see unless they do a search and wind up showing more files from me with the same name. I don't even use KaZaa ne more because of too much fakes. I also have gotten viruses from there too alot in the past. I hate people who cut me off for supposably not sharing.
    ANOTHER reason not to have show your shared files to other people on is the speed losses it causes.

Sending out a complete list of every file you're sharing can take quite a big chunk of speed/bandwidth. Even if each file only took 1/2 KB, if you are sharing 1,000 files that's 500 KB. For a cable connection with 256 k (kilobits/sec) upload, that can take 20 seconds WHILE DOING ALMOST NOTHING ELSE. And that's just if 1 person tries to list your files.

As you share more files, this takes LONGER even if the files are tiny and almost nobody wants them. This is why it's best to share tiny files grouped together in well-named ZIP/RAR/ACE files instead of sharing them individually.

Also, by sharing more files, more people will FIND at least 1 of your files in a search -- meaning even MORE people will be trying to list all your files. Before long, you're spending much of your connection's speed LISTING what you have shared (like to RIAA/MPAA/BSA -- which relists your files perhaps every 5 minutes to an hour if they can find you, even if you're NOT sharing MP3s/AVIs/EXEs, because their process is automated) and LESS AND LESS actually sending those files out to anyone.

A little FYI -- the larger a general-purpose decentralized (unmonitored and unregulated) network is, the more likely it is to have viruses -- and as it grows it will have MORE viruses percent-wise due to files trading hands.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Originally posted by powerstick@29 February 2004 - 10:35
    Although it would be a good idea to show your share so other ppl will know that you share, most people won't do it. I know I won't in KaZaa or Overnet. I don't want to be sued. I am not likely to be sued if I only share one file for people to see unless they do a search and wind up showing more files from me with the same name. I don't even use KaZaa ne more because of too much fakes. I also have gotten viruses from there too alot in the past. I hate people who cut me off for supposably not sharing. As of now I am sharing 55.9 gigs and I am ripping a movie as we speak to share. I usually rip one movie a day and convert it to divx then share it on oDC and Overnet along with all of my other shares from before I ripped it. I don't show on KaZaa or Overnet that I am sharing ne thing else but ya know what? I am.... Quit disconectine me if you are....
    RIAA... my god. If I'm sued... , I'll send them a copy of
    "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" movie I downloaded and burned which is garbled in the middle and skips... or a screechy MP3 I had burned on a cd!! It's ridiculous!! I'll plead the 5th!

I agree that if you do have several files to share, it slows down speed, but it's worse if you don't share giving uploaders fewer choices to download from other members which can also cause the download to take forever... especially movie files. Whether you have cable/broadband or not. I have a cable modem and most of my downloads creep at 5.00 or below. Besides, I HAVE the space and the time, so what the hell.

But then again, I DON'T check every uploader JUST to find if they're sharing anything. Occasionally I'll check to see if they have something interesting to download, but if they have nothing... I don't ban them off from mine. Personally I think that's silly. Especially if I don't actually know if they are not sharing anything.
    I suggest that members should share SOMETHING though... That is what this site is all about. Even if it's just Screensavers, clipart, Demos, etc. Something. For members like "2EVIL4U" , etc. that will cut you off.

Scared of viruses... ? Get a good Internet security/virus program, etc. Most of the popular ones are expensive and need to be upgraded yearly but they're worth it. Keep up with the Live updates along with Windows critical updates and you should be safe.
    "Our greatest accomplishment in life is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12