Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Hints At Low Costs And Open-source...

h1
    Redmond is focused on finding the right price point and feature set for its products in developing countries, says its platform strategy chief.

Microsoft is working on new initiatives that it plans to launch over the next few months that will help Windows to compete on a more level playing field with open source.

So said Martin Taylor, Microsoft's general manager for platform strategy — and the company's main point man on Linux — during a Web cast for financial analysts, shareholders and other interested parties on Friday morning.

Taylor, who is the champion behind Microsoft's "Get the Facts" anti-Linux campaign, presented Microsoft's view of the competitive landscape on the desktop and server. He also answered call-in questions from analysts during his roughly hour-long presentation.

A number of questions centered on Microsoft's plans to stave off the growth of Linux and open-source software in developing countries. Microsoft has lost a number of well-publicized government sales overseas to Linux and open source. And the company has experimented with offering cut-rate Windows/Office bundle to go head-to-head with Linux in Thailand.

Analysts pressed Taylor for specifics on the company's plans, but he declined to offer details.

"We will have initiatives in the coming months on working with these governments on solutions," Taylor said. He said Microsoft wants to make sure it is offering the right products to the customers in all countries.

Taylor noted that Microsoft "is trying to spend time with these governments." He said that the company, during the past 18 months has added more people to his team in order to better partner with these governments.

"We know we need to make long-term interests and bets" in countries outside the U.S., in terms of committing to helping them advance computer literacy, Taylor said, as well as to help them solve government-to-government and business-to-business issues.

"We have responsibilities to work with these governments around the world," Taylor said.

Taylor said that Microsoft is trying to find a way to better calibrate pricing based on a "Big Mac index" type of measurement.

"How much does a Big Mac cost in India vs. New York vs. Taipei?" Taylor asked rhetorically. "And then how do we map that to software?"

During his opening remarks, Taylor repeated his goal to remove the "hype, noise, religion and emotion" from the Microsoft vs. open source debate. He reiterated that Microsoft is planning to expand its campaign beyond its current total-cost-of-ownership (TCO) and interoperability emphases to reliability and security in the coming months. He emphasized that comparing Windows to Linux is like comparing apples to oranges.

"Linux is simply a kernel," Taylor said. "We have an operating system stack" that includes management utilities, security utility, a directory service and other components that are part of Windows, he said. On top of that, Microsoft also has a client that is tightly integrated with this stack, he added.

Taylor repeated that his hope is to move to a "more pragmatic, fact-based conversation" in this space.

Source: Microsoft Watch

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Microsofts last dying breath

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    h1
    Soon Gates will see the light.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Look at them, they are frightened..... and so they should be
    Legolas-Two Towers

Ok, I know they win in the end but M$ hasnt got a bunch of hard ass elves coming to save the day

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I dont think windows is going anywhere for a long time. linux is too hard to use for your average user and windows with its nice point and click interface will always win for average users.

example

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    h1
    That's got to be a damn nightmare... sounds exactly like the "I hate Macs" video.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by 4play
    I dont think windows is going anywhere for a long time. linux is too hard to use for your average user and windows with its nice point and click interface will always win for average users.
    Your right but, when it comes to business and Gvt servers which make up a large proportion of M$'s profits, they're definitely feeling the pinch.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Windows is open source now anyways
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I think the problem with microsoft is they are and always have been the billionaires.

When you been generating that much revenue through something as crappy as windows, then you sort of develop the mentality that you can not be stopped. Now companies like Red Hat, Suse, Mandrake, etc. are wising up and getting their peice of the pie.

As for Linux not being as easy to use as windows. I really could care less. I know how to use it. If companies need to cut cost of ownership by using opensource solutions then Linux is the only way to go. I do not know about any other country but in the U.S. unemployment is very high unless you have a decent education and even then there is no garunteee you will keep that position.

Nevertheless companies are cutting their workforce down to save major money. And whatever they implement into their enviorment or infrastructure you will use it, learn to use it well, or be searching for a new job

And besides what are they complaining about Linux not being as easy as windows. In most situations they have a gui, of all things, full office suite, web browser, access to databases, instant meesaging, and some crappy Linux amusement games to keep their lazy arsses busy when they are not working.

And who said Linux would be easy anyway?

To be quite frank. Linux is only as hard as you make it. If you take it upon yourself to use a completely different o.s. from the norm and you make it difficult on yourself by doing such things as: NOT reading documentation, and basically disregarding typical common sense, then that's "your" problem.

The less ignorant people that use Linux.........the better IMO.

It's when too many people start using it is when more and more it becomes commecial, cause then there becomes a demand for it.

How many companies did you see 5 or 10 years ago that tried to "sell" a knock-off windows that was actually Linux? Lindows, Xandros, Licoris?

And I'm really asking that question as I was too young 10 years ago to answer it........but I bet it was not many

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast