Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Maintenance

100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Cleaning Screen
    the process we've used for many years which has not scratched or smeared a single screen.

2 soft clean cotton cloth pieces about one foot square each (Chux superwipes are ideal). Dampen with clean water and squeeze out excess water. If the TFT screen has many greasy fingerprints and marks, a TINY amount of gentle detergent (not solvent or ammonia based) on one of these. Gentle clean with this cloth first, don't allow the liquid to dry on the screen, then the damp cloth. Finally polish and dry with a soft clean hand towel. Don't use excess pressure on any part of the screen.

I'd definitely keep away from Windex, CRT and glass/lens cleaning solutions.

Fan Vents
    Take you r vacuum cleaner or compressed air
    and burst /sck the dirt out of the vents
    this will improove ventilation
    kill overheating and worst of all noise- seriuosly
    ROSSCO_2004 
    when you are vacuming teh fans i would put a pencil in to stop it spinning or else the bearings get worn out andthe fan starts getting loud and rattely.
    Keyboard -Sticky Keys

The cause of most laptopdisfunction is spilled coffee / drinks etc on keyboard
    do the bellow
    * Cleaning materials:
        * Cotton swabs
        * Cosmetic foam rubber cleaning pads ( use only with naptha (lighter fluid), NOT alcohol)
        * Paper towels
        * Rubbing alcohol
        * Water
        * Lighter fluid (naptha)
        * Fine tipped tweezers
        * Scissors
        * Kitchen strainer
        * Household cleaner, Windex or equivalent
        * Super Lube Dry Film spray (critical - DO NOT SU
    BSTUTUTE &#33 K-Mart automotive.
        * This is a PTFE (teflon) based lubricant which dries perfectly DRY and is ideally suited for this application.

Proceed as follows:

DISASSEMBLE
    IMPORTANT: Make a keyboard map so you know where each key goes.
    Carefully pry each key loose with a small screwdriver and place in a container. They pop off. DO NOT use excessive force. There may be a small rubber piece for each key. Remove all of these and place in a separate container. CAREFUL, these are small and like to jump away.

CLEAN KEYBOARD ( do this well...... you will be wonderfully rewarded )
    Clean the keyboard with cotton swabs SLIGHTLY DAMPENED with water. Replace these often and BE SURE they are only slightly damp. If they are too wet the excess water will contaminate the keyboard through capillary action. This will clean all water soluble contaminants like Coca-Cola, coffee, and sugar residue. For the very small places, cut the foam rubber into small pieces and use the tweezers, again SLIGHTLY DAMPENED, for cleaning. You must clean each and every key space, inside and out, this is critical since this is where the key touches and moves.
    Repeat this procedure again using rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs but NOT the foam rubber as it disintegrates when used with alcohol.
    Finally repeat this procedure using naptha (lighter fluid) and foam rubber. You can clean even the smallest key guides with small pieces of foam rubber and tweezers. This action will remove any petroleum based contaminants as well as the grease that is sometimes used on the wider keys which may have guide wires, for example, the SCACE BAR.

CLEAN KEYS
    Some keys may have wires attached and some grease on them, clean these first with cotton swabs and naptha (lighter fluid). Remove all traces of the grease.
    Place all keys in a kitchen strainer. Spray with household cleaner and let stand for 5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with hot water and place keys on paper towels to dry. Let dry completely.

CLEAN RUBBER COMPONENTS
    Place all rubber components in a kitchen strainer. Spray with household cleaner and let stand for 5 minutes. Use stopper in the sink so that you don´t lose these if they jump out of the strainer. Rinse these thoroughly with hot water and place on paper towels. Fold the towels over and press to squeeze most of the water out of the pieces. Let dry completely.

LUBRICATE KEYS
    Place all keys bottom-up on a paper bag. Lightly coat the keys, at a 45 degree angle with Super Lube Dry Film lubricant. Do this from all 4 sides to assure penetration and coverage into the small and critical guide spaces inside each key. Let dry ( this happens nearly instantly). DO NOT overdue this step as the carrier solvent may affect the plastic.

LUBRICATE KEYBOARD
    Mask off the laptop with paper and scotch tape. Apply lubricant (as above in LUBRICATE KEYS) to the keyboard and let dry.
    All right, you now have perfectly cleaned and lubricated keys, keyboard, and rubber components.

REASSEMBLE
    Place all rubber components into the keyboard.
    Install keys with wires. Make sure wire is secured in the key, usually snapped into place. Place ends of wire in the guide slots adjacent to the key location as you align the key. Firmly press down to snap the key into place.
    Install the rest of the keys by aligning and firmly pressing down.

CONTRATULATIONS, you now have a keyboard which will operate smoothly and perfectly for years to come. 

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Good one Zed
    Just the kind of posts one likes to see on a SHARING forum TY

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Double Agent
    my head hurts

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by Zedaxax@29 February 2004 - 03:18

LUBRICATE KEYS
    Place all keys bottom-up on a paper bag. Lightly coat the keys, at a 45 degree angle with Super Lube Dry Film lubricant. Do this from all 4 sides to assure penetration and coverage into the small and critical guide spaces inside each key. Let dry ( this happens nearly instantly). DO NOT overdue this step as the carrier solvent may affect the plastic.

LUBRICATE KEYBOARD
    Mask off the laptop with paper and scotch tape. Apply lubricant (as above in LUBRICATE KEYS) to the keyboard and let dry.
    All right, you now have perfectly cleaned and lubricated keys, keyboard, and rubber components.
    Why lubricate the keys and keyboard?
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Double Agent
    i dunno but this is clean gone wild....

i blow the airvents at best....

prying the keys off and clean and lubracate em is just over the line.....

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Thats why I like desktops

Cleaning the keyboard

1. Unscrew keyboard
    2. Take out anyparts that look "Electronical" (mainboard with the cable)
    3. Fill the tub with hot soapy water
    4. Throwin the parts that are plastic and/or rubber or "water safe" (use common sense)
    5. Dry
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Keikan@29 February 2004 - 03:52
    Thats why I like desktops

Cleaning the keyboard

1. Unscrew keyboard
    2. Take out anyparts that look "Electronical" (mainboard with the cable)
    3. Fill the tub with hot soapy water
    4. Throwin the parts that are plastic and/or rubber or "water safe" (use common sense)
    5. Dry
    Or flip it over and give it a good shake

Most people cherish their laptops. They are cool B)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by shn@29 February 2004 - 09:33
    Most people cherish their laptops. They are cool B)
    The people or the lappies?
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    So how often would I have to take the hoover to my laptop ? It is getting a tad noisy...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Originally posted by 4th gen@29 February 2004 - 10:24

Why lubricate the keys and keyboard?
    Your right - i think that would make it worse....got of this of a site from a guy who works as laptop repairer.

The reason i posted this is cause i spilt Coffee\Beer\Wine and some Rain on laptop
    and now have to work with an external Keyboard.....
    (costs a new laptop to repair)
    so i suddenly decided to take care of it......

So how often would I have to take the hoover to my laptop ? It is getting a tad noisy..
    whenever necessary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast