Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Program To Free Up Ram

can I curse? FUCK!
    Anyone have any suggestions? Some progs on my comp just dont know how to release ram when they close.. so i need suggestions!! suggestions!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    search first, someone JUST started a new thread on this just a few places down, why not just ask at the end of his?
    here
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Mullyman's Avatar Poster
    Here is an excellent one and it is free......very simple to use, and understand.

http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/
    DEMO'S WORLD
    Knowledge And Wisdom Are Gained By Listening And Observing And Knowing When To Keep Your Fucking Mouth Shut!!!!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Why is there so little Free RAM?
    Windows will always try to find some use for all of RAM — even a trivial one. If nothing else it will retain code of programs in RAM after they exit, in case they are needed again. Anything left over will be used to cache further files — just in case they are needed. But these uses will be dropped instantly should some other use come along. Thus there should rarely be any significant amount of RAM ‘free’. That term is a misnomer — it ought to be ‘RAM for which Windows can currently find no possible use’. The adage is: ‘Free RAM is wasted RAM’. Programs that purport to ‘manage’ or ‘free up’ RAM are pandering to a delusion that only such ‘Free’ RAM is available for fresh uses. That is not true, and these programs often result in reduced performance and may result in run-away growth of the page file.
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    in my experience those ram free-er-upper programs just make it run really slow. i dont know the technical reason why (although i have an idea) but i just wouldnt recomend them.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    MaxMem

It does'nt use much memory at all.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Nothing beats actual ram, so your better off just buying more ram, cause those memory programs arent that great

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Actually your just better off running Linux. No matter how much ram you have windows will eat all of it up anyway. No exceptions.

And once it's done hogging all your ram it will go to work on your processor. That's where the 100% cpu usage comes in at

So to be honest......NO. Most ram saver apps or whatever you call them do not work that well.

I also figured since this was Softwareworld and they asked for a program and not tips, I would offer a software solution. And strangely enough I do not think physical sticks of ram fit into that category.

But what the hell do I know...................I'm just a n00b

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by shn@1 March 2004 - 04:55
    Actually your just better off running Linux. No matter how much ram you have windows will eat all of it up anyway. No exceptions.

And once it's done hogging all your ram it will go to work on your processor. That's where the 100% cpu usage comes in at
    How many times can you honestly say that whilst you've been using Windows, it's taken up all your ram and CPU?
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Originally posted by Mullyman@1 March 2004 - 06:56
    Here is an excellent one and it is free......very simple to use, and understand.

http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/
    Yeah, thats the one I use... it's a good'n. B)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast