Thread: What Evil Codec Screws Up Premiere?

ladybunnybear's Avatar Poster
    Mars (North) and Venus, depending on my mood
    I'm about to wipe my computer and re-install everything... I do a lot a video editing and premiere is my main tool... I have installed a lot of different video related applications. I also installed a bunch of codec packs and one of them completely screwed up Premiere (6.5). I tried reinstalling premiere. Reinstalling Windows (NT... I am switching to XP). No can do!!!

I spent a lot of time on doom9 and dvdrhelp, found a lot of valuable information but no answer to my question.

I couldn't list what codecs are on my computer because the list would be to long.
    My solution could be: not reinstalling all the different codec packs (I find divx particuliarily evil). Or reinstalling them until it screws up premiere and then wipe my computer again...(NOT a real option)...

If anyone encountered the same problem and know the name of the culprate, could you please let me know...

Thanx
    DESTINY, n. : A tyrant's authority for crime and fool's excuse for failure (Devil's Dictionary)
    "I have great faith in fools; my friends call it self-confidence." (E.A.P.)
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Undressed tournament

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Originally posted by ladybunnybear@29 February 2004 - 17:11
    I'm about to wipe my computer and re-install everything... I do a lot a video editing and premiere is my main tool... I have installed  a lot of different video related applications. I also installed a bunch of codec packs and one of them completely screwed up Premiere (6.5). I tried reinstalling premiere. Reinstalling Windows (NT... I am switching to XP). No can do!!!
    What problem are you having? (And), is it a problem just with 6.5, or did you have the problem with 6.0 also?

"Bad" codecs will cause 6.5 to lose sound sync in the timeline (on the monitor window playback) and also cause the timeline clips to "bleed over" one another.

Be advised that the edited clip will export correctly, the codecs just screw up the program playback (but it does make editing a real PITA).

Let us know what the EXACT problem is, and maybe we can offer a suggestion.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Two filters can are probably the cause:

AAC Parser
    DivX Anti-Freeze

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    he said that he installed heaps of codec packs, that in its self might be the answer

i suggest that if you want to use codec packs, only use 1 pack ( nemo or klite )

as installing more than one might just currupt the first, personaly i dont use the packs , i get the individual codecs i need, eg if you are just gunna ncode in divx, then just get the divx 5.11 bundle, the less codec's the better,

i do believe the ffdshow filter in the packs can be buggy, get the original ffdshow filter from sound forge, it works great and will play back just about any movie

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    The EXACT problem is: premiere always crashes when I open it... Yes, I have tried to reinstall premiere 6.

he said that he installed heaps of codec packs, that in its self might be the answer
    I know... I had a clip that wouldn't play back in any programs... When I finally got it to play back and converted it with tmpg ( Premiere is very picky with the encoders believe me I know...) Premiere wouldn't play ANYTHING... it would crash at start up. I have searched everywhere as to find out which one(s) were evil.... According to some people, most free codec packs are evil... Nemo was one of the one mentioned... I am scared to install any codecs at all but that would limit the use of my computer and the clips I could to use in my editing...

AAC Parser / DivX Anti-Freeze
    It doesn't seem like I have any one of those according to Gspot and Codecswapper... Does anti freeze come with any given divx codec packs?

installing more than one might just currupt the first
    I actually think some of them overwrite original codecs which can't be good...

get the original ffdshow filter from sound forge
    Sound forge? Video codecs? I don't believe ffdshow is installed on my computer...

Here are the codecpacks I know are installed :
    SLDcodecpack (virtualDub) 1.5 pro beta - setup.exe
    PinnacleDV25Codec.exe
    klcodec204f.exe
    and of course the extra codecs that come with Windows media player and nero...

I also installed cinema craft encoder 2.66, It never worked and I Uninstalled it... May be it screwed things up irreversibly... (I dought it)

Thanx for the advice... I will continue looking and if I find it, I will let the world know...
    DESTINY, n. : A tyrant's authority for crime and fool's excuse for failure (Devil's Dictionary)
    Undressed tournament

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Uninstall SLDcodecpack and klcodec204f.exe

Then get the latest version of the K-Lite Codec Pack and install that.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by ladybunnybear@1 March 2004 - 09:30
    The EXACT problem is: premiere always crashes when I open it... Yes, I have tried to reinstall premiere 6.
    Lots of good advice here, but try this also.

1. Uninstall all the codec paks that appear on the XP uninstaller utility.

2. Check to see if 6.5 loads. If not...

3. Remove any second party plug-ins to another folder located out of the Premiere 6.5 folder.

4. Check to see if 6.5 loads. If not...

5. Uninstall 6.5 and then remove any instances to it in the registry. Reboot and reinstall 6.5.

It should work now. Then...

Try installing ONLY the codecs you really need, one at a time. After installation, try loading 6.5, if it loads, the codec is fine, and if it does not, remove the offending codec.

Your problem seems to be more of a misbehaving plug-in that a codec.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Thanx, I will try that... I just got really buzy somewhere else..
    I will let you know if it worked..
    Undressed tournament