Thread: Is This Possible?

Poster
    Look behind you, you may not see me, but I am there
    Is it possible to make it where you have to enter a password to shut down the computer? If there is, please let me know.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    On local computer with local group policy settings.............no.

On a Domain Controller.................yes.

In your case someone might just see it fit to press the power off button.

This is probably complete crap but heh, I found it on google. With a little effort you might find better

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    I was going to say just create a password for your screen saver, then activate it whenever you leave the computer. But I just looked at all my screen savers (which I never use), and it appears XP doesn't let you do that anymore.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Nightwolf@2 March 2004 - 22:19
    I was going to say just create a password for your screen saver, then activate it whenever you leave the computer. But I just looked at all my screen savers (which I never use), and it appears XP doesn't let you do that anymore.
    it does, you go to "on resume, display the welcome screen". then when teh screensaver ends it will go to teh welcome screen and you type in your windows password (provided you use a password for windows) and all of your files will still be open, as long as fast user switching is enabled.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    What about the power off button?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by shn@2 March 2004 - 21:35
    What about the power off button?
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/keylock.php

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    h1
    You could just always unplug the goddamn thing...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+2 March 2004 - 22:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 &#064; 2 March 2004 - 22:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Nightwolf@2 March 2004 - 22:19
    I was going to say just create a password for your screen saver, then activate it whenever you leave the computer.&nbsp; But I just looked at all my screen savers (which I never use), and it appears XP doesn&#39;t let you do that anymore.&nbsp;
    it does, you go to "on resume, display the welcome screen". then when teh screensaver ends it will go to teh welcome screen and you type in your windows password (provided you use a password for windows) and all of your files will still be open, as long as fast user switching is enabled.[/b][/quote]
    Thanks for the info.

Then I guess that wouldn&#39;t help him, since anyone could just shut down from the Welcome screen.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by Hunted@2 March 2004 - 00:27
    Is it possible to make it where you have to enter a password to shut down the computer? If there is, please let me know.

if you do password protect it, cant ppl just pull the cord out???

for XP: what you can do is disable the the shutdown button showing up in certain places (like the login screen or the startbutton of certain users)

i cant remember where you can find that option exactly, and cant look it up for you right now (school&#39;s comp), but i know it&#39;s somewhere in the administrators tools (you do have to be an administrator though)
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it