Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me With My Dvd-rom Drive

PAiNKiLLER
    When I insert a software or an audo dosc on my dvd rom drive... it works perfectly... BUT when I try to play a dvd, it doesn't work. Around 95% of my dvds aren't working.. Do you know the reason? What can I do now???

Image Resized

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    what do you mean they wont work? they wont play in a dvd player program or the drive wont recognize the disc at all?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Need a dvd software program like power dvd or win dvd to play I think. Should have a program that came with your dvd or computer. like this
    http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Home.jsp

FR6oo download the trial to test you'll know right away B)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    PAiNKiLLER
    I don't need a player. I have them all. But the ROM can't read DVDs... ???

Image Resized

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED
    hi mate.Any virtual drives like d-tools,they mess up reading cds ,ide,dma.There good but they mess up big time,i try not to yse them esp' deamon.Otherwise check everythings ok in device manager,aspi,ide.Reinstall wins if its still the same maybe the laser needs re-aligning.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    again what do u mean it wont read them. if you put one in then go to my computer does it say that there is a cd in the drive?hat happens if you double click the drive icon?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    If its an old drive its likly that its gone. A dvd drive uses 2 lasers, one for cds and one for dvd's soemtimes one lazer goes after a while, thats why it will play cd's and not dvd's.

Peerzyboy

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    cockboy's Avatar Poster
    Not all dvd drives have two lasers, i have seen several with only one laser that reads both types of disk, although this was in home dvd players, not pc dvd drives.
    Even though the drive in the last dvd player (cybervision,) seemed to have a standard pc dvd drive inside, complete with ide cable and power cable hole thingy.
    To help the laser track the disk, an arcaemedes screw is driven by a motor, which in turn moves the laser back and forth across disk.
    Sometimes the plastic guide on the screw gets worn and causes more densely packed disks too be misread, or not read at all due to skipping, sometimes accompanied by whirring noises
    A quick fix, (actually, will take a bit of time and care,) is to unscrew guide slide bars and disconnect laser from dvd drive, should be a ribbon that is easy to disconnect, just be careful not to bend it too much.
    if you are lucky, there should be a small screw holding a piece of plastic which in turn, rides on the drive screw , moving laser back and forward.
    If so, unscrew it and put a small sliver of wood or similar to add a bit of downforce in the direction of the drive screw.
    Reassemble and replace back into computer, and cross your fingers.
    With this method I fixed the dvd drive in a ps2 which was reading cd's but not dvd's , games nor films. After fix, it worked perfctly, even reading disks that I thought were too scratched to read.
    Dont attempt this fix if you are not completely sure how too.
    Sorry if this seems hard to understand, its simpler in practice.
    Hope this helps,
    D2D

P.S. new dvd drives can be got for about twenty quid, buy a new one if this seems too much like hard work.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    PAiNKiLLER
    I still got warranty for that. I think I'll try to replace it. Or else will ask them to fix it... I wish I could fix it...

Image Resized

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by fr600@2 March 2004 - 23:36
    I still got warranty for that. I think I'll try to replace it. Or else will ask them to fix it... I wish I could fix it...
    I wish you'd actually tell us what the problem is.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast