Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building A Web Site

im looking to building a web site, nowt flash just a basic web site, to promoto somthing, but i havent got a clue were to start realy, i have 15mb of web space wich i get from my isp, fro free,it web great if someone could help me or show me what to do

thanks
    [COLOR=red] [SIZE=14]Doing it My Way Now

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    If your using windows and have Microsoft Office use Microsoft Frontpage (another good alternative WYSIWYG editor is Macromedia Dreamweaver). This is very similar to other Microsoft Office applications so it should be to hard to set up simple pages. Design a page to you liking and then find information on how to upload to your host (via FTP or web upload). Following instructions on how to do this. Once your page is uploaded you can access it by typing the direct url to the page on the server (e.g http://YourISP.com/YourUserName/Index.htm) from any computer connected to the internet.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Poster
    If you need a working template and advice, I might be able to help.

*poof*

Vanished

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    h1
    FrontPage... big nono.

Try using the editor built into Mozilla or Dreamweaver.

The best option is to learn HTML, because once you do you'll see that WYSIWYG editors actually don't give you that much control over your pages.

BTW, a list of free hosts can be found here.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    I still don't get why people bitch over Frontpage (the only problem I have come across is one with paths to files and images but can be solved easily by maually changing the html code). Its easier to use than Dreamweaver. All my website pages have been done in Frontpage and, although there not particularly stunning, they do what I need them to do. I know that the pro's use notepad and the like but if your not a programmer who's used to working with sheer coding then frontpage and other WYSIWYG editors are fine.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    h1
    • It makes your code nonstandard and incompatible with many browsers.
    • Relative image / script / <link /> paths break on upload.
    • It&#39;s not easier to use, I found it overwhelming when first learning HTML.
    • It&#39;s unstable.
    • It&#39;s a Microsoft product, so we know what the quality is like.
    • And some stuff I can&#39;t remember.
    And BTW, I do not prefer Notepad or EMACS, have you ever tried making a complex as hell table with pure code? I use a WYSIWYG editor to set up the basic layout and then tweak the code.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    And those few things means that you and loads of other people can rubbish Frontpage (unstable and it being MS don&#39;t count as it&#39;s not unstable and MS aren&#39;t that bad and it is easier than Dreamweaver - its just like word&#33? It&#39;s really not that bad

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    h1
    Like you say, it&#39;s not that bad, but there are simply better products out there.

There&#39;s nothing overly terrible about Yugos or Kias, but I wouldn&#39;t be caught dead in one.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    some off then look good, what itis im whanting to do is offer to unlock and reapir nokia and othe mobiles in the uk by post, so i dont need anything flash realy

and i have front page im guna check it out, might aswell seen as iv&#39;e got it
    [COLOR=red] [SIZE=14]Doing it My Way Now

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    Originally posted by SeK612@27 February 2004 - 15:55
    And those few things means that you and loads of other people can rubbish Frontpage (unstable and it being MS don&#39;t count as it&#39;s not unstable and MS aren&#39;t that bad and it is easier than Dreamweaver - its just like word&#33? It&#39;s really not that bad
    As a webdeveloper/programmer the main things one looks for is platform independency.

I used to use frontpage for a long time, that is the early years when i learned html. It wasnt long before I noticed all the junk codes it inserts which is ridiculous. Not to mention it messes up the layout. Dreamweaver is much better.

haxor mentioned the main points which for any developer is understandable
    It makes your code nonstandard and incompatible with many browsers.
    Relative image / script / <link /> paths break on upload.
    When the sites are designed at a professional level (not usual personal homepages or some klite download page) you make it a point that it works in all the browsers out there and obeys w3school&#39;s style. There is a validator you can check at their site.

The point about M&#036; was a joke
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast