Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another One Bite The Dust...

fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    yep, for all us 49er fans, looks like we may be facing a shite season

Originally posted by (RR News)

Published - Mar 02 2004 05:26PM Eastern || AP

SANTA CLARA, Calif.(AP) Quarterback Jeff Garcia was released by the San Francisco 49ers on Tuesday, ending his five-year tenure with the team.

The 49ers also released two-time Pro Bowl guard Ron Stone in an attempt to get under the salary cap.

Garcia, a three-time Pro Bowler, was unable to agree on a restructured contract with the 49ers, who wanted to reduce his salary from the $9.9 million he was scheduled to earn in 2004.

Instead, San Francisco will save $1.7 million against the salary cap by dropping Garcia, a local product who holds the franchise's single-season record for passing yardage. He has been the 49ers' starter since 1999, but Tim Rattay is expected to take over next season as San Francisco clears room under the salary cap.

The 49ers waited until the last possible day to make their decision, since Garcia was due a $500,000 roster bonus Wednesday  the first day of the free agent signing period. General manager Terry Donahue delayed his expected Monday announcement to hold a last-ditch negotiation session with Garcia's agent, Steve Baker.

"We made this decision based primarily on cap ramifications," Donahue said. "The reality of it is we're going along with a plan we've established. In our view of things, we took the long-term view. This isn't anyone's fault, there are just things we've got to do."

Garcia was about to enter the fourth season of a six-year contract. Instead, he becomes one of the most attractive free agents on the market.

Rattay, Garcia's longtime backup, probably will lead a rebuilt San Francisco squad that will bear little resemblance to the team that won the NFC West and reached the conference semifinals in 2002.

"As we see it, the future looks really bright," Donahue said. "This team now belongs to (Rattay), the job is his to keep."

Four-time Pro Bowl receiver Terrell Owens is all but certain to depart, while running back Garrison Hearst and offensive lineman Derrick Deese also have been waived. More veteran starters, including safety Zack Bronson, are expected to be released soon  and others will leave as free agents.

Stone made the 2002 Pro Bowl after signing with San Francisco as a free agent. He was an anchor on an offensive line that looks incredibly shaky now without Deese, a 12-year veteran, and Stone  who also couldn't agree on a restructured contract.

Rattay, who signed a three-year, $4.8 million contract extension last August, went 2-1 as a starter while Garcia was injured last season. He was a record-setting quarterback at Louisiana Tech, but threw just three passes in his first two seasons with San Francisco.

Ken Dorsey and Brandon Doman are the 49ers' backups, but neither has appeared in an NFL game. After the 49ers finished 7-9, coach Dennis Erickson said he wanted Garcia to return  but also praised Rattay's development.

Garcia's departure is the biggest step yet in what's shaping up to be another rebuilding effort for the 49ers, who also rebuilt from scratch after Steve Young was forced to retire in 1999. Unlike last season, when nearly every starter returned, only a few starters from 2003 are certain to be back.

Under the tenure of owner John York, the 49ers seem to be focused primarily on the bottom line. That's a departure from the years when the 49ers were owned by York's brother-in-law, Eddie DeBartolo, who usually spent whatever was necessary to keep his stars and field a talented team.
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Originally posted by FKDUP74@2 March 2004 - 22:45
    yep, for all us 49er fans
    How many people stopped reading here?

j/k

3. Lounge   -   #3
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    That bloody sucks.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    Originally posted by samsamsamsam+2 March 2004 - 22:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (samsamsamsam @ 2 March 2004 - 22:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FKDUP74@2 March 2004 - 22:45

j/k [/b][/quote]
    me
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Originally posted by samsamsamsam+3 March 2004 - 00:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (samsamsamsam @ 3 March 2004 - 00:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FKDUP74@2 March 2004 - 22:45

j/k [/b][/quote]
    I made it to the second paragraph

I thought I&#39;d show willing

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Originally posted by sam4+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sam4)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>How many people stopped reading here?[/b]

Originally posted by azzz@
    me
    <!--QuoteBegin-danb

I made it to the second paragraph[/quote]

(this was just a heads up for us Niner fans)

7. Lounge   -   #7
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    I read the whole damn thing and I still think it bloody sucks.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Originally posted by NikkiD@2 March 2004 - 18:14
    I read the whole damn thing and I still think it bloody sucks.

well, yeah, me too

but if Rattay doesn&#39;t cut it, we got Dorsey B)
    he was a Miami Hurricane
    umm....well.....the &#39;Cane&#39;s QB&#39;s havent actually done a lot in the NFL though...
    Jim Kelly was probably the most successful, and he was a flop
    Testaverde was a flop....
    Walsh was good, went 7-1 for Chicago back in the days, but....
    they replaced him as soon as feckin Harbaugh or whoever came back
    (cant remeber who they replaced him with, but they flopped after Walsh sat out)

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Forget those forty whiners...I mean niners.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Just gonna be another year in the Erickson era.

Oddly enough, they may just be better than last year (record-wise), but Erickson ain&#39;t gonna get it done; I can&#39;t figure how he even got the job.

I&#39;m a Packer fan, but I feel for you guys, I really do.

As an aside: I played against Steve Mariucci in high school.

BTW-I expect LOTS of sympathy when Favre retires.

Keep that in mind.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast