Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jus Sad

bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    Woman in Pa. Kidnap-Arson Case Surrenders
    By JOANN LOVIGLIO

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Luz Cuevas took one look at the dimpled, dark-haired little girl at a birthday party and instantly knew two things: She was watching her own daughter - presumed killed in a 1997 fire - and she needed a way to prove it.

So Cuevas pretended the 6-year-old girl had gum in her hair, removed five strands from the child's head, folded them in a napkin and placed them in a plastic bag.

``Because of TV, I knew they needed hair for the DNA,'' Cuevas said Tuesday.

The DNA tests confirmed a mother's intuition.

The girl was Cuevas' only daughter, Delimar Vera - the girl everyone else believed had perished in a house fire when she was only 10 days old.

Investigators believe a family acquaintance stole the baby from her crib, set the fire to cover the crime and raised the little girl as her own.

Carolyn Correa, of Willingboro, N.J., who was wanted on charges of arson and kidnapping surrendered to police in Philadelphia Tuesday afternoon, said her attorney, Jeffrey Zucker.

The little girl has been taken into state custody in New Jersey. It was not immediately clear when she would be reunited with her mother.

Fire officials believed the 1997 blaze at Cuevas' Philadelphia home was sparked by a home-rigged extension cord connected to a space heater. The fire was put out in 10 minutes, but Delimar's room was gutted, and investigators concluded that the infant's body must have been consumed by the intense heat and flames.

Cuevas said several things made her suspicious.

``I went inside the room and looked in the crib and she wasn't there,'' Cuevas said, adding that the window was inexplicably open though it was a cold winter evening. Police and fire officials that night told the hysterical mother that ``maybe it was my nerves.''

Cuevas, 31, said she was also suspicious because Correa, 42, had announced that she was pregnant during a visit shortly after Delimar's birth. According to Cuevas, Correa abruptly ceased contact after the blaze.

Cuevas, who speaks in halting English, said she instantly recognized the child as her daughter at the Jan. 24 birthday party. It was unclear what brought the girl, who was being called Aliyah, and her biological mother to the same party.

``When I see her, I saw that she was my daughter,'' said Cuevas. ``I want to hug her. I want to run with her.''

She sought help from state Rep. Angel Cruz, who represents the poor, largely Hispanic neighborhood where Cuevas lives. Cruz said he was skeptical at first but ``something inside'' told him that there could be something to the bizarre claim. He called police, who contacted Correa for a DNA test that ultimately proved Cuevas right.

``It's a mother's way. It's motherly intuition,'' the lawmaker said.

Cuevas and Delimar's father, Pedro Vera, 39, had a baby boy after Delimar's disappearance but broke up under the strain of losing their daughter.

``Right now I want to see my daughter,'' Pedro Vera said. ``I am so happy. I just want to see my daughter.''

It will be up to a Family Court judge to determine where the little girl will live.

Correa pleaded guilty to a 1996 arson at a medical office in New Jersey and got five years' probation, according to court records.

Neighbors who used garden hoses and fire extinguishers in a futile attempt to help Cuevas reach her newborn on the night of the fire reacted to the news with joy and anger.

Jose Rosario, a former next-door neighbor, said he took a drink to celebrate.

``I was happy she was alive,'' said Rosario, who recalled grabbing a fire extinguisher and desperately trying to enter the window where Delimar was supposed to have been, only to be repelled by the intense flames.

``Somebody could have got hurt trying to save someone who wasn't in there,'' Rosario said. ``The way she hurt those people, she should be put away in a crazy house.''

source

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Its magic baby!
    Thats quite an incredible story, why is it sad though shes getting her kid back right?
    Wiz.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Wizard_Mon1@3 March 2004 - 12:15
    Thats quite an incredible story, why is it sad though shes getting her kid back right?
    Not so fast.

New Jersey's record as re: children in state custody is hideous.

I shall say a prayer for the girl and her mother, in the hope that they will be reunited as soon as possible.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Its magic baby!
    Originally posted by j2k4@3 March 2004 - 16:14
    I shall say a prayer for the girl and her mother, in the hope that they will be reunited as soon as possible.
    Nice, not many people would.

So even if there is proff she is her child they might not be allowed be the state?

Isn't the kidnapper in jail for arson so the kid must be in custody. The next logical step would be to give her back.
    Wiz.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Originally posted by Wizard_Mon1+3 March 2004 - 13:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wizard_Mon1 &#064; 3 March 2004 - 13:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@3 March 2004 - 16:14
    Nice, not many people would.

So even if there is proff she is her child they might not be allowed be the state?

Isn&#39;t the kidnapper in jail for arson so the kid must be in custody. The next logical step would be to give her back.[/b][/quote]
    One would think so, yes, but we&#39;re talking New Jersey, here.

Check this out:

http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/pa03_...childabuse.html
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Stunning&#33; simply stunning&#33;

So it could end up that this mother and daughter may not be reunited?

Excuse me, but what has the poor mother done wrong? Abused her kid? nope...I cannot imagine how a judge could possibly justify not reuniting them...but then the legal system often seems to be the real abuser in child custody cases.

I read your link J2k...its absolutely mad&#33; I thought we had problems here in the UK with sloppy work by social workers...but this is ridiculous&#33;

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    A late update:

Apparently (according to USA Today), the authorities will allow mother and daughter to be reunited with all due speed.

Stunning that they actually realize they have no entree in this case, as it was purely and simply a kidnapping.

This could have easily become another bureaucratic snafu of the first order, and yet another example of an inept institution trying to justify it&#39;s continued existence.

I am elated for these people.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Phew&#33; What a relief&#33; you had me worried for a minute there J2K4"

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Originally posted by sara5564@5 March 2004 - 13:47
    Phew&#33; What a relief&#33; you had me worried for a minute there J2K4"
    I am so relieved to report that.

I really had no idea why they would even think they needed to weigh in on this occurrence; that had me a bit scared, too.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Was there ever any question of this mother not getting her kid back? j2k4&#39;s made the claim but he hasnt provided any evidence.

The link about another unrelated case doesnt prove that at all.

You have to bear in mind that every topic on this forum, whether it be the possibility of life on Mars or the whereabouts of Lord Lucan, always involves j2k4 complaining about political correctness or inept Gvt departments.

The man is on a mission and his arguments and claims need to be put into that perspective.

Originally posted by sara5564
    I thought we had problems here in the UK with sloppy work by social workers...but this is ridiculous&#33;
    As you probably know, the state of social work in the UK (and many other public services) is due to 20 years of a Thatcher Gvt, who believed in tax cuts and the "slimming down" of Gvt departments, so as not to create a "nanny state".

Very similar to the policies of G Bush, both senior and junior. Guess who j2k4 is voting for?

When I hear Conservatives talking as if they care about social issues and then supporting tax cuts, I always reach for the salt.

Imho its all opportunistic rhetoric.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast