Thread: Will My Spybot And Ad Aware

Poster
    Hey all just decided to go ahead and add user profiles for my two daughters. And I was wondering if when I run my spybot and ad aware, will it scan across all the user profiles or will I have to run it in all the profiles individually? For that matter will my AVG do the same or no? Thx 4 ne help

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    there won't be a problem...i dunno bout ad-aware but spybot and avg can scan the whole system. they're meant to do that, so u dun have to reinstall them for every profile u created.
    Please be kind to the noobs...we were once them after all

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    hmm , now i had to think about this question, and gildan im not sure you are correct, as doc and settings folders are restricted to each user, each user has its own reg

not that im saying you are wrong but i will look in to this more, but in the mean time gbfan i would run scans on all user profiles

i just seem to remember something from my a+ exams about this , it will come to me in time lol , prob tonight about 2am i will wake up and amswer this lol

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I'm admin on my machine & they seem to scan across profile directories, but then that could be my permissions and using FAT32 that allows them to do so. If you're not an admin or you use NTFS it may not work.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    go to settings>scan settings and you can select what directories you wish to scan
    (this is for ad-aware)

try the advanced mode on spybot to see if there is options there

either way, they should both be able to scan the entire pc regardless of the profiles

matter of fact, i think they do

and im on an ntfs setup B)
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Sweet thx 4 the info guys. Now another question when I go into the limited profiles to clean up their desktops it won't let me delete ne of the shortcuts that are there. How can I do this? Also my wife has photo editing software that really only she needs access to but it is also available to the youngsters. I do not want this because they could potentially get in there and screw up ( or sometimes make better ) ne pictures/projects the wife may be working on. NE suggestions on how to pick out which progs I want available on each profile? Thx again guys

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Most likely the shortcuts are in the shared folders...

If you're using WinXP, move the Start Menu shortcuts from:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
    to:
    C:&#092;Documents and Settings&#092;<WIFE>&#092;Start Menu&#092;Programs

and the desktop shortcuts from:
    C:&#092;Documents and Settings&#092;All Users&#092;Desktop
    to:
    C:&#092;Documents and Settings&#092;<WIFE>&#092;Desktop
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Hey thx alot man that&#39;s exactly what I needed

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    or it might be easier if you just make theres administrator profiles and delete all shortcuts to anything they arent allowed to use, also any ways of getting to anything they arent allowed to use...