Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Really Need Help With Windows Me

I wish I had of just done that, but now after going through the steps suggested on here now it also says its missing the vmm32.vxd file as well.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Reinstall

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    I tried that once before for another problem and it would not let me. I kept getting a message that the disks I was using for not the correct ones for this computer. I wish I could just go in and restore. I have data on this computer that I would really like to save if at all possible. Does anyone know if at this point it would help to get a copy of the ifshlp.sys file and re-install it? Could not having or finding that file be the reason the steps outlined here did not work?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Poster
    Pm me an email and will send you both the files at around 1,120bytes total.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Thanks cwctv

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    DO NOT use the vmm32.vxd file from another computer. It's a file that's created when Windows is installed.

Why would you only take half of my advice? I suggested renaming the file and re-installing Windows - you haven't re-installed Windows.
    If you're not going to run the Windows install process, rename vmm32.OLD to vmm32.vxd.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Limp_bizkit_uk@7 March 2004 - 22:50
    This is a waste of time even writing this but every one says Windows ME is the worst well ive had it for over 2 years and had no problems at all, Windows 98 has BUGS !!! thats why they brought out Windows 98 Special Edition because of the bugs in it
    also i downloaded loads of software, cracked stufff so my pc was being used to its full use yet i didnt have any problems with Windows ME, some one tell me what problems they had with there ME
    i used to use windows me on my old computer for a few months that was about the time i got highspeed internet, and an NIC card. Once i started using the NIC card my computer would constantly freeze after minutes of use and i tried different drivers and stuff but nothing helped so i had to go back to windows 98. then i got a new computer shortly after and the old one now has xp.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Originally posted by Chewie UK@8 March 2004 - 22:48
    DO NOT use the vmm32.vxd file from another computer. It's a file that's created when Windows is installed.

Why would you only take half of my advice? I suggested renaming the file and re-installing Windows - you haven't re-installed Windows.
    If you're not going to run the Windows install process, rename vmm32.OLD to vmm32.vxd.
    I did rename the vmm32.old to vmm32.vxd and now that file also appears to be missing in addition to the ifshlp.sys file. As I stated once before on here I did try once to reinstall windows, due to another problem, and for some reason it would not reinstall, I kept getting the message that my system recovery disks were not the correct ones for my computer. I'm assuming that I would not have any better luck doing it now.

So, other than installing another copy of ifshlp.sys and seeing if I can get anywhere that way I am not sure where to go next with this computer. I would really like to save the data that is on there so I'm open to ideas if anyone has any.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Guys, I'm at my wits end with this computer and just don't know where to go next with it, aside from installing a new OS which I may do but would like to recover data on it.

Did you remember to run the winME SETUP like the first useful reply told you?

Should be able to re-install Me over the top of itself. All your old settings and stuff should be safe, and it'll actually load. I think thats what the original suggestion was.
    Are you saying re-install winME from files allready on the computer? If so no I haven't. I do I do so?

Thanks for the help everyone.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by coldnorth@15 March 2004 - 12:30
    Guys, I'm at my wits end with this computer and just don't know where to go next with it, aside from installing a new OS which I may do but would like to recover data on it.

Did you remember to run the winME SETUP like the first useful reply told you?

Should be able to re-install Me over the top of itself. All your old settings and stuff should be safe, and it'll actually load. I think thats what the original suggestion was.
    Are you saying re-install winME from files allready on the computer? If so no I haven't. I do I do so?

Thanks for the help everyone.
    just put in the me cd and start installing as normal to your C: drive and it will think you do not have an OS installed already because of the file you renamed, so it will overwrite all of the files and will then boot up and your downloads will still be there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast