Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Really Need Help With Windows Me

I have a problem with Windows ME. The computer (HP Pavilion XE783) was working fine. Was sitting idle and I noticed that the screen saver had frozen up. The computer would do nothing and I cold booted. When I tried to re-start it wanted to start in safe mode and on that same page it also said there was a Registry/Configuration error and use ScanReg. I tried starting in safe mode, and have since tried all 4 options it gives for starting and I get the following.

Goes to a black page with message

Missing IFSHLP.SYS

tyhen changes to a blue screen with the message Cannot find helper driver. Ensure that IFSHLP.SYS has been installed.

Help, I have no idea where to go next. Can I get the computer to start in dos and run scanreg from there? If so how do I do that and what's the command line to start scanreg?

I would be really grateful to anybody that has any ideas on how to fix this thing. Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    UPGRADE!
    ME is the worst OS I have ever used, and yes I have used it, I'm not BSing you, it is clearly the worst!
    Either get XP, or even go back to 98 and you'd be better off!
    You can get both off IRC or BitTorrent
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I'm starting to agree with everyone about win ME, I have had a lot of problems. Right now though it would be difficult to upgrade. Any ideas on what I could do to get this back up and running so I could back up some data I don't want to loose?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Boot to DOS and rename <windows_path>&#092;SYSTEM&#092;VMM32.VXD to VMM32.OLD then run Windows setup.

You can get a windows boot disk with CD drivers on it from Bootdisk.Com
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thanks chewie. Now, what may be a stupid question. How do I get win ME to boot to dos?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I fear your display is faulty as you seem to have completely missed my second sentence...
    Originally posted by Chewie UK@4 March 2004 - 21:32
    You can get a windows boot disk with CD drivers on it from Bootdisk.Com
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Sorry chewie. It&#39;s not the display it&#39;s just me. Kind of rainy and cold here and that kind of weather always plays he*# with the plate in my head(would be funny if not true). thanks again.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I have not used dos in years. How do I do about renaming <windows_path>&#092;SYSTEM&#092;VMM32.VXD to VMM32.OLD? Also, I won&#39;t lose data doing this will I?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    ...Glass tubes all look alike from the inside.
    cd windows&#092;system
    rename vmm32.vxd vmm32.old

and, er, your done. Assuming windows is in c:&#092;windows&#092; - but im sure you can figure that out.

As for losing data, thats why your renaming the file, and not deleting it. In theory, you could restore the old file ut just renaming it back to .vxd - if you wanted to.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Thanks everyone. I&#39;ll give this a try tomorrow and see how it works out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast