Thread: Ripping A Dvd Small As Possible

Hey,
    I want rip a DVD to the smallest file size possible, i dont want to put this on cd so i dont want kvcd or sumthin like that i wanna upload it but i need it to be the smallest size possible? What would be the best program?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    relevance size = quality, if you are talking streaming then that different, but here is a rough estimate

a 1 hour and 10 minute movie usualy will turn out at about 700mb and be very good quality

try and get that same movie down to 600mb and its unwatchable ( just big square blocks )

resolution is the other fact, if ya wanna make it like 320 x 240 it might be a bit smaller but not a lot, but then you would have to watch it at that res and if you ran it full screen it would look shocking

and where are you gunna upload it to, is the question

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    what do you want to upload ?

depends on what kinda quality you want and what kinda filesize your thinking about?

i quite like using wmv if i really want to crunch something down or divx/xvid for quality.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    well i saw on this site they had a hour and 30 mins dvd at 130mg and that was wmv, i wanna upload to my site so 700mg/600mg just isnt possible. But what would be the best program to rip it?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by shoutman@5 March 2004 - 23:58
    well i saw on this site they had a hour and 30 mins dvd at 130mg and that was wmv, i wanna upload to my site so 700mg/600mg just isnt possible. But what would be the best program to rip it?
    wmv isn't the dvd standard. If you want this movie to be in dvd format it has to be mpeg2.

but i don't think you want the movie in that format, because divx/xvid or wmv have better compression ratio to quality.

to convert to wmv you can use windows moviemaker, already provided with windows xp and me.

to convert to divx or xvid you can use xmpeg or flaskmpeg with divx/xvid codec installed. An easier software is dr divx (just for divx)
    Robert00000