Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can The Theories Of...

Its magic baby!
    I was just reading a past thread and i lead me to think about the theory of evolution and how it conflicts with many religious beliefs e.g. there was a guy doing my course a few years ago and he dropped out because the subjects were challenging his religious beliefs. In the Bible it says that god created man and many people take that literally, but is it wrong to say that he didn't create man even in light of human evolution.

I haven't really researched this subject but i think it would be very interesting to hear theories of how god fits in with what we (today) understand as creation. Will the ever be a point where science and religion overlap and the edges become blurred. Could god be an explaination for the theories of the big bang and so on, could science be used within religion to find a sound explaination for the spirit.

What are your thoughts on this subject.
    Wiz.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    muchspl2
    science > religion

___________________________________________ end thread _____________________________________

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    I believe that God created the Universe and that Christ was the Messiah. I also believe that the theory of evolution is fundamentally accurate, however there is a distinct possibility that parts of it are incorrect. That is the case with most scientific theories. Ultimately parts are proven to be incorrect, whilst the whole is broadly correct.

I do not see a belief in God and a belief in evolution as being mutually exclusive. It really depends on how literally / metaphorically one takes one's holy book (whatever the religion) to be. Christ for example often spoke in parables. The point was to get a message across. That did not necessarily mean that the story was a historical record, it was a way to illustrate a point, the moral of the story. As such, much of the New Testament should not be taken literally, but the lessons contained within it learned.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Well there's a couple thoughts.

I don't TOTALLY believe in evolution. If we came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Also if there was a BiG BanG, who put it there?

There's an interesting show called BULLSHIT!! on Showtime that is about creationism. It's a very good watch.

The people in this certain county fought to have creationism, or should I put it as Christian creationism, to be taught in school, like in biology.

One is religion, one is science. Why did these morons put it school, especially science classes?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    For me, I would state that my belief in a God would be limited to the creation of a set of rules (physics) and starting the ball rolling with the Big Bang or whatever.
    He is not a personal God, he is not defined by a book or a Religion, he is not knowable.
    Religions are mans' panacea for this often cruel thing called life. It sucks now, but if you follow these rules things are going to be just fine.

Saving the Best for last for me- Marc Cohn

So for me, evolution and God have no conflict.

I only grant the possibility of God because although Evolution is a readily observable process, it really does not do well in regard to creation.

As I said in another thread, evolution is not limited to biology and sometimes this can be helpful in explaining how unique entities can arise from a common precursor.

My example was Latin. From this parent language, there have been several major new (French, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian and Spanish) languages formed. They came about from time and geographic separation. A speaker of the parent language is unable to understand the offspring and vice-versa.

This analogy can be applied the to the relationship between apes and man. We arose from something common(Latin) that preceded both apes (French) and man (Spanish). But Spanish did not come from French, if you will, for the sake of analogy.

As Clocker said, evolution and creationism only conflict if you take your Religion too literally.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Imo evolution is antithetical to the beliefs of any religion where God is said to create mankind. To believe in both is truly Orwellian.

I don't TOTALLY believe in evolution. If we came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Originally posted by hobbes@6 March 2004 - 00:53

As Clocker said, evolution and creationism only conflict if you take your Religion too literally.
    Clocker hasn't posted here, or are you referring to another thread ?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Busyman@5 March 2004 - 19:16
    That will never be solved, as a theory is an assumption based on limited information, whereas religion is a set of belief one holds.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Originally posted by ilw@6 March 2004 - 01:17
    Imo evolution is antithetical to the beliefs of any religion where God is said to create mankind. To believe in both is truly Orwellian.

What does Orwellian mean ?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by internet.weather+5 March 2004 - 17:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (internet.weather @ 5 March 2004 - 17:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hobbes@6 March 2004 - 00:53

Clocker hasn&#39;t posted here, or are you referring to another thread ? [/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t have to actually post in a thread.
    You seem to drag me around to all sorts of unsavory places I normally wouldn&#39;t visit.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast