Thread: Got A Really Good Dvd Player Mod Idea

OK as you know, in car dvd players with the lcd screens can be way over AU$1000 dollars and i was thinking, i could make an exact setup (even better) using a stand alone DVD player.

DVD players these days are cheap as dirt (ive seen a few for around AU$100 and they play anything and everything even MP3's )

With some models, the DVD ROM inside has an IDE Interface and a freind of mine has replaced one with a standard DVD ROM from a PC.

Also, inside a DVD player, it has hardly anyparts. (dvd rom and 2 or 3 small circuit boards and they are tiny)

Some DVD players also have dolby 5.1

I could get one of these things in a car and use a standard pc's DVD rom and a few cheap LCD's (like the PSone screen)

What you think ??

cool idea or not

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    cool idea. if you find it too hard to do with a dvd rom drive and teh circuits and stuff, you could just buy a ps2 and a screen for it and just plug that into your car.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Hmm, could work
    it'd be a money saver for sure! if you could get it to work that'd be awesome
    are you gonna give it a try?
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@9 March 2004 - 03:34
    Hmm, could work
    it'd be a money saver for sure! if you could get it to work that'd be awesome
    Yeah i will.

I have to pick up an invertor for dc to ac conversion and just test it on a car batery first before attempting to put it in a car.

If it works with the battery and invertor out of the car, it should work in the car no worries.

I was thinking, it would be cool to rip out the stuff in the dvd player and put it in a small box and just use the remote for controlling it.

I might have to wait for a little bit because i have to much things to do this month lol.

I wish i thought of this idea before buying my MP3 deck for my car, but still i will try this out of car when i get the chance.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Evil Gemini+8 March 2004 - 21:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Evil Gemini @ 8 March 2004 - 21:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kaiweiler@9 March 2004 - 03:34
    Hmm, could work
    it&#39;d be a money saver for sure&#33; if you could get it to work that&#39;d be awesome
    Yeah i will.

I have to pick up an invertor for dc to ac conversion and just test it on a car batery first before attempting to put it in a car.

If it works with the battery and invertor out of the car, it should work in the car no worries.

I was thinking, it would be cool to rip out the stuff in the dvd player and put it in a small box and just use the remote for controlling it.

I might have to wait for a little bit because i have to much things to do this month lol.

I wish i thought of this idea before buying my MP3 deck for my car, but still i will try this out of car when i get the chance. [/b][/quote]
    i&#39;d try it but first i gotta get a car and before that i have to get a license