Thread: Firewall Question

So...I've just recently started to actually use a firewall while surfing the net so i'm quite new to that.Yeah,I know...I'm a jackass internetnoob who's that stupid not to use a firewall what so ever But now that i'm using it it's interesting to see how much incomming and outgoing traffic there is even when I'm not activelly surfing the web ...very nice indeed B)
    But I've got some questions about some apps that always seem to start up when I'm going online,and i don't have a clue of what they are.All I know is that the dll-file sends information(I think)to a site from time to time and I just want to know if i can block these things from doing these or am I supposed to let this happen?
    Anyways,here's a screenshot of what i'm talking about:
    Image Resized
    [img]http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/firewallpic.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Specially the backweb thingy sounds a bit spyware-ish.
    And what's with the yellow questionmarks?

One other thing:didn't sygate have a stealth-option in it's firewall?
    I thought I saw that when i didn't have the pro at first but it was marked grey because it would only be available in pro?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Google the processes you're not sure of. Install & run Spybot Search&Destroy and Adaware 6 to get rid of the crap on your system. Yes Sygate PF is a little more limited than the Pro version.

I use a layered protection scheme. I use little programs that do specific things. Not bulky programs that try to do everything.

My current protection is all freeware: Avast!4 home AV, Sygate personal firewall, SpywareBlaster, RegistryProt 2.0, xp-AntiSpy, Adaware6, SpyBot S&D & ScripTrap. These little free programs stop virtually everything.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    yes, backweb is generally reccomended to get rid of.

why don't you do this:

Code:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.exe scan and save a log.   copy and paste it in this thread.   Do not fix anything without advice.  
    cheers.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    GO HERE LIST OF TASKS it shows many proccesses and tells you if they are dangerous or not dangerous and what they do. iT's kinda outdated, put...
    Click the longhorn icon to visit my website.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED
    Any thing in that window mate you dont know what it is block,you should only see your running apps there.You can always right click to unblock if it causes problems.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by supersonic@9 March 2004 - 21:27
    GO HERE LIST OF TASKS it shows many proccesses and tells you if they are dangerous or not dangerous and what they do. iT&#39;s kinda outdated, put...
    hey, nice website...i can finally understands wat&#39;s goin on in my taskmanager
    Please be kind to the noobs...we were once them after all