Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qos Windows Xp Tweak

QoS tweak
    QoS (Quality of Service) is a networking subsystem which is supposed to insure that the network runs properly. The problem with the system is that it eats up 20% of the total bandwidth of any networking service on the computer (including your internet connection). If you are running XP Professional, you can disable the bandwidth quota reserved for the system using the Group Policy Editor [gpedit.msc].

You can run the group policy editor from the Run command line. To find the setting, expand "Local Computer Policy" and go to "Administrative Templates" under "Computer Configuration." Then find the "Network" branch and select "QoS Packet Scheduler." In the right hand box, double click on the "Limit Reservable Bandwidth." From within the Settings tab, enable the setting and then go into the "Bandwidth Limit %" and set it to 0%. The reason for this is that if you disable this setting, the computer defaults to 20%. This is true even when you aren't using QoS.

Found this little tweak on a website some time ago. Seemed to help me a little in download speeds. Thought I'd share.

-Steven
    Time never lightend this burden I bear,
    You failed to see me, with empty stares,
    A book being written, still truth untold,
    Buried in lies, but now, unfolds

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    does this cuase any trouble.? i may use it

btw wat is ur speed and how much does it increase after doing this.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I just uninstall it from my Internet Connections...I dont use it and microsoft can reserve 20% of someone elses bandwith...

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    It is a myth,this tip will not increase your k-lite downloads.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    i know it does not icrease speed on kazaa cuz, speeds on kazaa depends on # of users sharing a particular file, but we can find out if the tweak works on not by downloading from ftp, mirc or download site.

i just want to know if OverAll it work or not.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    I never believe anything Microsoft have to say...

But thanks for the insight

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Well... I did try it...

It didnt give me A big change, but I had a boost or two.
    No it does not harm your connection. Its just a reserve.
    P4 2.4C / 1024M / R9600XT 128M / 80GB / 400W
    Peer-to-peer Programs...

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Tried this and it is having an effect on my overall net connection stability.

My downloads run consistently near to their optimum speed, searches take a lot less time and general surfing is quicker.

Generally a very good tip (or have I just had a coincident best 48 hours connection?).
    DOWNLOADING IS FUN - SHARING IS SUBLIME
    When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    LEEDS UNITED - WE'LL BE BACK

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    ok the reason it call qos is that it provides quailty to the downloads and infact is what checks the packets as they come in and if it see a curupt packet, it sends a message to send the packet again

without it you maybe fine, but if there is heavy traffic on your isp or your lan and it drops a few packets it wont ask for them again, eg possibility of currupt file or dodgy video ect, the overhead involved in using Qos realy wont effect you d/l speed but may effect you download in the end

i suggest that you dont disable this function, or i can see an increase in crap files flying around kazaa, and we all need that dont we

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast