Thread: I Seen This On The Local News Today

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    http://www.get-digital.net/

It is actually pretty nice offer for somebody with Hundreds of CDs they would like to RIP and add to their PC.If they have the Money.

Was talking to a Buddy just last Weekend about this.And he was saying he does not have the time to RIP his CDs and knows nothing about MP3s anyways.But said he would like to.He has around 700 CDs and would take him forever.

Why did not one of us think of this?

2. Music   -   #2
    summerlinda's Avatar Pyretta¤Blaze
    First 50-200 CDs $1.99/CD    Next 200-400 CDs Each$1.49/CD  over 400 $0.99/CD

192 kbps (Adds $0.10/CD) 
    256 kbps (Adds $0.20/CD) 
    320 kbps (Adds $0.30/CD)

I think Im gonna quit my job, I can cover for The Netherlands
    (ofcourse I would make a copy for myself too )

128kbps MP3 file is considered to be “CD quality”,

No VBR though
    And not a word about the encoder... I'd like to know

Other then that, great invention

3. Music   -   #3
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    Yea, it&#39;s a good idea, but i dont think it will go anywhere. If a person is a real audiophile, they would probably want to do the ripping themselves. Also, like you said funky, people have huge record collections and the shipping cost would be astronomical as well as the risk of losing all of those cds in the mail. You may get reimbursed, but I doubt people are willing to send decades worth of cds in the mail.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

4. Music   -   #4
    summerlinda's Avatar Pyretta¤Blaze
    Most collections will take just a few hours to encode using Get Digital’s state-of-the-art encoding equipment.

------------------------------------------------

Example: 500 CDs&nbsp;
    CDs Price per CD Price
    1-200 &#036;1.99 &#036;398.00
    201-400 &#036;1.49 &#036;298.00
    401-500 &#036;0.99 &#036;99.00
    Total: &#036;795.00
    How can they rip a e.g 500 cd collection in a few hours?

5. Music   -   #5
    internet.news
    • Permanent Archive
    Your collection will be returned to you on a set of DVDs which will serve as a permanent archive of your collection. If you are storing your collection on your computers hard drive or portable MP3 player, chances are that one-day it will fail and your collection may be lost forever. Rather than worrying about your digital collection being wiped out by the next lightening storm, rest assured your entire music collection will be safely stored on your Get Digital DVDs.

The next lightning storm? What is if the lightning touches your PC?

6. Music   -   #6
    zeplin
    Wow, pretty cool idea, always late, but thought of this last year. I really could have used a CD ripping service. 400 CD&#39;s and several months later I just now get to enjoy my collection.

Based on my experience, the thing that would interest me most is how they handle the data. Meaning, when I did my collection, the information I recieved from freedb (artist/album/tracks) spellings and format were all over the place. So when I loaded them in MusicMatch, nothing sorted correctly. I had to manually change probably 75% of them to fix spellings and just format (ie. Disc 1 or Disc 1/2, it actually matters). This was actually the most time consuming part. I saw they do a printout (which is very cool looking), so they must have a way of organizing it.

7. Music   -   #7
    CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça

*CrumbCat is very frustrated with his present line of work and wishes he would have thought of this - he would have employed many MusicWorld members......

My mind is consumed by trying to think of something new to do - every hour of every day - it&#39;s beginning to interfere with my work, and DAMN me for not thinking of this.

Edit:

Q. Does Get Digital keep a copy of my collection?
    A. No, this is illegal. Get Digital will return all of your CDs along with every copy of them which was generated by the process. You may choose to make as many copies of your CD as you’d like, but Get Digital cannot keep or store these copies for you. Get Digital will keep a record of the CDs we recorded for you as part of our standard customer log.
    Right - who&#39;s gonna stop them. Damn, FC - they&#39;re gonna make your collection look like something out of a box of CrackerJax.

8. Music   -   #8
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Originally posted by summerlinda@11 February 2004 - 11:55
    First 50-200 CDs &#036;1.99/CD Next 200-400 CDs Each&#036;1.49/CD&nbsp; over 400 &#036;0.99/CD

192 kbps (Adds &#036;0.10/CD)&nbsp;
    256 kbps (Adds &#036;0.20/CD)&nbsp;
    320 kbps (Adds &#036;0.30/CD)

I think Im gonna quit my job, I can cover for The Netherlands
    (ofcourse I would make a copy for myself too )

128kbps MP3 file is considered to be “CD quality”,

No VBR though
    And not a word about the encoder... I&#39;d like to know

Other then that, great invention
    that souds liek a good job