Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crackdown On P2p In Australia

This is from a news article
    http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0...Enbv%5E,00.html

ISPs raided in MP3 probe
    Simon Hayes
    MARCH 06, 2003

FEDERAL police have executed search warrants on Telstra and internet company Eftel in one of Australia's largest investigations into alleged music piracy, which could be worth up to $60 million.

Warrants were also executed at several other un-named internet service providers, with more warrants possible as the investigation continues.
    It's understood the police were seeking information about the identities of particular subscribers, as well as music files that may have been stored by them on servers.

According to sources, the wholesale value of the allegedly pirated music may be as high as $60 million - making it one of Australia's largest copyright infringement investigations.

A police spokeswoman confirmed that officers, accompanied by computer forensics experts, visited a Telstra facility in Melbourne and Eftel's Perth offices, as part of ongoing investigations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Search warrants were also executed at several other ISPs, which she declined to name.

She said the execution of these warrants was part of "related investigations".

The Australian understands that the investigations are at an early stage, and that more ISPs may yet be searched.

Simon Ehrenfeld, the chief executive of Eftel parent company Datafast Telecommunications, said the company had co-operated with police, and had provided information relating to a subscriber. The ISP had also closed the subscriber's website.

"We are a large ISP, and we get police in frequently with warrants asking for information relating to the activities of particular subscribers," he said.

A Telstra spokesman confirmed a police search had been undertaken, but said "these things happen all the time".Eftel has about 50,000 subscribers. Telstra has about 1.4 million.

The investigation comes as the music industry lines up against alleged pirates at some of Australia's top universities.

In an unrelated matter, music labels Sony, EMI and Universal have taken the University of Sydney, the University of Tasmania and the University of Melbourne to the Federal Court in an effort to secure information about alleged piracy.

The three universities have agreed to preserve possible evidence, but they're expected to fight any attempt to get them to hand this over when the case resumes later this month.

Overseas, the recording industry is suing Australian-run file-sharing network Kazaa, which allows users to swap music files stored on their personal computers.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Poster
    That sucks for australians

3. Lounge   -   #3
    SHIFTY's Avatar Poster
    yea i agree it sucks for australian but i am not going to let itget me down or even stop me from doing it
    you see if we all act like we are scared and run off like school girls than the RIAA and the other companies willl think they have won and thats exactly what we dont want so we have tokeep fightng im not giving up they need to put the prices downon cd's and software
    its outragious! so i quote a rage against the machine song "No Matter How Hard They Try They Can't Stop Us NoW!"

4. Lounge   -   #4
    *************************************************************************************
    Simon Ehrenfeld, the chief executive of Eftel parent company Datafast Telecommunications, said the company had co-operated with police, and had provided information relating to a subscriber. The ISP had also closed the subscriber's website.
    *************************************************************************************

compare this with that company in the US, i think it was called verzion or something like that where it spending $$$$$$ on lawyers, trying to kept the users details secret from the prying eyes of the RIAA and it's movie equlivant.

Makes you think!

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Poster
    I'm glad i dont live in Oz then...got cousins their so will have to warn them

6. Lounge   -   #6
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster

7. Lounge   -   #7
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Sorry foryou Austrailians, but I agree with FC,

This really gets boring

8. Lounge   -   #8
    kazaa is based there so might be bad news

9. Lounge   -   #9
    jetje's Avatar former star
    yep probably another scary topic so off to the lounge for debating

10. Lounge   -   #10
    The company is Verizon, Junkie, and it used to be GTE. I don't think there's any significance to the fact that the Sharmans are physically in Oz. They have decided to answer the suit in California, but without submitting to the jurisdiction of the court. IOW, "You have no right to judge me, but, even if you did, you're wrong."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast