Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet Networking

Im doomed!!!

My current internet is the cheap and chearful english NTL 600k Broandband, not bad. The problem is my pc is upstairs and the pc downstairs has the broandband so last year i set about networking all 3 pc's together.

i brought the CAT5 cable, the PCI cards and the port thingy.

however i couldnt do it, im just to thick, hey im blond what do you expect.

So i gave my 3 pcs over to a guy who upgraded them and networked them all....the only problem was that he networked them quite wierdly.

He used a program called Proxy Plus (Proxy+) and the only way we could share the internet was through Socks5 and Proxy settings.

So iv had to be configuering every program, and i have only recently found a Socks5 compatablke Bittorent but iv had anough. i want online play, i want IRC i want lots of things but my internet wont let me do them right now.

So it got me thinking, no one else has these problems to why me, and after 10mins of blaming god, he gave me an idea

I thought i think the people who networked it for me did something wrong.
    This is my current network set up:
    Image Resized
    Image Resized
    <a href=&#39;
    http://server6.uploadit.org/files/pe...twork.JPG&#39; target=&#39;image&#39;>Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://server6.uploadit.org/files/peerzyboy-CurrentNetwork.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'></a>
    Notice anything wierd.
    My Internet goes into my 1st PC before going through the N-switch.
    Is this causing me all my problems, after all the modem does have a port at the back for &#39;Enet.&#39;

Now it got me thinking, shouldnt i have networked something like this:
    Image Resized
    Image Resized
    <a href=&#39;
    http://server6.uploadit.org/files/pe...rking.JPG&#39; target=&#39;image&#39;>Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://server6.uploadit.org/files/peerzyboy-MyIdeafornetworking.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'></a>

If i do this, is it goes to fix my problem of have to do everything through proxy settings?

Any help would be grateful as im rather fed up (not what i quite sed to the pc when i couldnt play onlije games but its the idea , it was more aloing the lines of &#39;U stupid pig F**king, horse s**ting piece of cyber F**kless c**t f**ker&#39

Edit: Just some more infomation...

Currently Pc1 (see picture 1) has to be on for either PC2 or PC3 to be able to use the internet or any internet applications, with my new way would this change?

And sorry for the bad drawings my pc got formatted recently so im having to use paint till i get something a bit more pro looking

ANd BTW i f**ked up somewhere along the lines when adding pictures with all that code-y c**p so just ignore that, its not spose to be any more pictures than just the two.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Hmm... I&#39;m using 2 PC&#39;s on NTL&#39;s 1 MB connection so I hope this helps...

Firstly, USB is in my opinion a definate no-no. Use ethernet. Much more stable.

Secondly, what is an N-Switch? Is it some kind of router? I&#39;m using a Linksys BEFSR41 ver. 2 and haven&#39;t had many problems, although I&#39;ve had to forward specific ports for my P2P clients, although I always change the default ports before using.

With regards for having the first PC on to access the net with the other 2 PC&#39;s, it sounds like you have just networked the PC&#39;s together rather than allow them to individually surf the Internet.

I&#39;d advise buying a router. Mine has 4 empty ports to allow 4 PC&#39;s to network at one time. I think I paid around £80 at Maplins for this, although it&#39;s probably cheaper now.

Try Aria or eBuyer. they&#39;re pretty cheap.

Hope this helps.

Samurai

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    its called an N way switch on the box altho looking at it, it calls it a &#39;5 way eithernet switch&#39;

i have the 600k version of ur internet. Yes the man who networked proberly didnt know we wanted internet on it so he networked t to share files.

basicly my n way thingy is the same as yours, so if i changed my method of network-age will it work much like urs cause thats what im aiming for. to play online and not be restrikted to socks5 and proxy compable stuff.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Ok you&#39;ll need to connect this &#39;N-Switch&#39; to the modem, or STB (whatever you use) and connect the PC&#39;s to this N-Switch. Hopefully that may fix some of the problems you&#39;re having. Be sure to use the ethernet connection rather than USB too.

Also, ensure you have a working reliable firewall on each of these PC&#39;s... Sygate Pro seems to be the best at the moment, so I&#39;d go for that. Latest version is 2525 I believe and is available on most P2P clients.

I use eMule Plus, so if you need the hash I can supply that for you.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Originally posted by Samurai@20 February 2004 - 22:24
    Ok you&#39;ll need to connect this &#39;N-Switch&#39; to the modem, or STB (whatever you use) and connect the PC&#39;s to this N-Switch. Hopefully that may fix some of the problems you&#39;re having. Be sure to use the ethernet connection rather than USB too.

Also, ensure you have a working reliable firewall on each of these PC&#39;s... Sygate Pro seems to be the best at the moment, so I&#39;d go for that. Latest version is 2525 I believe and is available on most P2P clients.

I use eMule Plus, so if you need the hash I can supply that for you.
    yeah thats what i was getting at in my drawings connecting the modem to the N switch insted of to a PC then the N switch.

Only problem is that all my settings are for proxy and i dunno the normal ones. When we got the person to network the internet i remember him going to a TCP internet protocal thingy and changing something but f**k knows where it is or how to get it, unless some here does

the only problem with giving me an emule plus hash is i couldnt get emule/edonlkey to work with my connection

also whats a firewall gonna do for me? just f**k it all up again like proxy has? iv neav had a firewall.

thnx for the quick and helpful responses Samurai ur the perfect person, with my internet without the f88ked up job

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Ok try this. It&#39;s a long shot that might just work.

Click Tools In IE > Internet Options > Connections {Tab} > LAN Settings {Bottom}

Delete anything in your proxy server, and ensure it is unticked. Now ensure the first checkbox is ticked &#39;Automatically detect settings&#39;. Do this to all 3 PC&#39;s.

Now ensure only the first PC (nearest if possible) is connected to the modem/STB. Make sure the other PC&#39;s are not connected to the switch.

Now disconnect your cable modem, STB for minimum 30 seconds. Reconnect. Let the lights stabilise and reboot PC No. 1

Hopefully you&#39;ve have Internet access. If at this stage you do not. Ring 0845 650 0125 (NTL Tech Support, 8am-12am). Follow instructions to report clow browsing. Ignore the advice about disconnecting and rebooting PC, you&#39;ve already done this SEVERAL TIMES When you tell them this, when you get through to them, they&#39;ll run a quick diagnostic and resend a signal down the line to your modem/STB.

If you didn&#39;t have to follow the step above, you should have Internet access by now. If you did, hopefully NTL have now sent you a signal down the line to do just that.

Now, you&#39;ll need to connect the other 2 PC&#39;s to the switch using the CAT5 cables. (If it&#39;s possible at some point, try and buy shorter cables as long ones that NTL enjoy supplying are far too long and may cause packet loss).

Using the Network Connections (PC&#39;s in System Tray) right click > select repair

Do this on both. Hopefully this will sort out all your problems.

Samurai

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    thnx for all the advice in the morning i&#39;ll cheak it all out and give NTL a gd shouting in the morning to wake em up

i didnt use a CAT5 cable that NTL gave me because they didnt give me one all they gave me was a usb connector bunch of f**king w**kers

thnx again, i&#39;ll post up my results and how happy i am and how unhappy NTL are with all the verbal abuse im gonna give em

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    Cool. Hope it works out for you.

CAT5 cables are available in Maplins for literally nothing. I got myself a nice green one (5m) for £3.99. Makes a change I guess but it does look good, and prevents any retard from &#39;accidentally&#39; disconnecting me in the household

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    lol i picked up a 25m one thats RED goes gr8 with my um... gree carpit lol

but i was supprised to find out that 25m&#39;s was only just enough to link PC1 to the N switch which is by PC2, it has to g up the stiars to so thats why

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    I have all my PC&#39;s connected like you have in the second pic.

I have the adsl modem going into the hub and then the pc&#39;s plugged into the hub works fine.

If your using windows xp it makes it very very easy.

(dont know why the guy used Proxy+ )

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast