Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spain Terrorist Attack

Poster
    Originally posted by sara5564@12 March 2004 - 19:16
    I would not be surprised if ETA and Al Q have worked together
    ETA have denied responsibility. It is not typically their style to attack civilian targets, when they do, they give warning.
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    If they don't care avbout innocent peoples lives,why should we care about theirs,or why should we give them a fair trial?
    Hang,shoot or behead them is what I think should be done.
    Do you have any idea about global social affairs?
    How can the problem ever be solved if you don't tackle the root cause of why people commit these attacks - such as the fact that they may feel oppressed by the global economic situation which favours rich countries to the detriment of developing countries.

I am certainly not saying that these attacks are justified, and I sympathise with all the victims of terrorism and war in the world - of course no violence can never be justified; all I am saying is that the root causes need to be looked into.

If the authorities themselves do not respect the international law, and they start executing people or suspecting them of being terrorists without giving them a fair trial, then what kind of example does that set to the ordinary citizens?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by ~FunK_mOb~@12 March 2004 - 19:01
    If they don't care avbout innocent peoples lives,why should we care about theirs,or why should we give them a fair trial?
    Hang,shoot or behead them is what I think should be done.
    The very fact that we do care about innocent peoples lives is exactly why they must get a fair trial if caught. Otherwise we are descending to their level, and that's another victory for them.

If and when they are found guilty, then they should get everything that's coming to them.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I'm saddened by the Spanish Government insisting the UN link ETA to the bombings, when so far ETA have denied it, and the initial findings are that the explosives used are not those usually associated with ETA, but are those used by some Islamic Fundamentalist Groups.

To try and score political points in this tragedy is sickening... If ETA is linked to the bombing the existing Government gains votes, If Islamic it loses votes.....

Meanwhile, Spanish Interior Minister Angel Acebes said the recovery of an unexploded bomb believed to be part of the attacks had "opened new leads".

A rucksack containing 10kgs of explosive, 1kg of shrapnel, a timing device, and a mobile phone allowing the bomb to be set off by remote control was found in a police station, where officers had deposited it believing the bag belonged to a victim.

Radio station Cadena Ser reported the explosive in the rucksack was Spanish-made "Special C" explosive.

It quoted anti-terrorist sources as saying that the material was "not of a kind normally used by ETA" but by "another terrorist group linked to Islamic extremists"
    Source

The UN Security Council has “strongly” condemned yesterday’s terrorist attacks and named the Basque separatist group ETA as perpetrator of the crime.
    Despite hesitation of some members, it named the militant outfit as having a hand in the strikes at the urging of Spain, an act which some diplomats said was unusual as the Council does not name terrorist groups until their identity has been firmly established. Council diplomats said that initially, several members were opposed to identifying ETA as perpetrators of the crime till final determination was made but Spain lobbied hard to get the name included
    Source

Its too early to tell for certain who was responsible, however it does not fit the MO of ETA. Whilst perfectly capable of attacking Civilian Targets they usually give a warning.... much like the IRA often used to do in the UK. There are more political points to be gained that way by a group with a specific political agenda.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Ofcourse the root of the problem needs to be tackled in the first place.
    But what I'm trying to say is that when people want to fight for their rights by killing other innocent people they don't deserve it.No matter what the reason is for doing these drastic things,terrorists should not be threated with respect once they've been found guilty for their actions.
    Ok,I can't say what goes through the minds of these persons,but even if they have been oppressed or discriminated for ages,it still isn't a reason to go out and kill people that just happen to live in the country that's being the oppressor or is an alliance of theU.S.(or any other country for that matter).
    From what I understand about it all,ALQ is doing terrorists attacks against the US because they "hate" the islam(to put it simple).ANd ETA is doing terrorist attacks because they so badly want their own independable country.It's just plain stupid!Same goes for the problems in Ireland.I mean,what kind of narrowminded person are you if you're going out to kill people because they don't think or have the same religion as you?

If I could I would explain it more better but my english isn't all that to start of a deep conversation or discussion about this,or to fully explain what i'm trying to say.Hope you understand what Im' trying to say though.

And yes,starting at the root of all the problems is the best way to go.
    But it's not because this doesn't happen,or not thoroughly enough,that it justifies for people to go out and do terrorist attacks.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    I never said that their oppression justifies them to go out and kill innocent people, all I was really saying was that the authorities should try to look for the root cause in the first place, so these saddening attacks would be less likely to happen.

I don't think the governments (of any country) are perfect either - they often spend money on wars without spending enough on healthcare/education/social care etc.

War is terrorism, but with a bigger budget.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Does spain have any history with them? If not it seems senseless, like a jab at humanity in general.
    The current quote in my paper about al-Qaida's reasoning for the train bombing was to penetrate "one of the pillars of the crusade alliance, Spain."

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@12 March 2004 - 20:12
    Does spain have any history with them? If not it seems senseless, like a jab at humanity in general.
    The current quote in my paper about al-Qaida's reasoning for the train bombing was to penetrate "one of the pillars of the crusade alliance, Spain."

...due to their alliance with the U.S., in other words.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    That could be inferred, yes.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Poster
    my brother is one of those conspiracy freaks , he says the goverment is involved in some way due to the recent elections , i really dont know who is to blame.

i have some friends in madrid that i have come to really care about and i was relieved to find out that nothing happened to them , but they told me that they knew a couple of the people that were there an they have not been able to contact them , i just cant imagine what they era feeling right now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast