Thread: Job Advice...

Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I've been working voluntarily for a youth charity for about 8 months now, today they have advertised in the local papers and jobcentre the position that I have been doing for the last 4 months. Equal opps says that they must advertise the job which I'm fine about.

The organisation that I work for knows that in Spetember I am going to University, my question then if I apply for the position can they hold this against me or would this be against equal opps or whatever laws there are in this regard?

I would be prepared to carry on working in September but obviously my schedules would clash and Uni would be my priority.

Any ideas on this would be much appreciated.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I wouldn't know about any laws, Withcheese, but if I were you, I'd be totally honest with all the powers that be that you'd like to keep all the irons you can in their respective fires.

As re: any job, voluntary or otherwise: Never burn a bridge, indeed, do everything possible to keep it in good repair.

If you enjoy doing the voluntary gig (sounds like you do) see if there is any way to keep doing it within the limitations of your uni schedule; you might find an accomodative attitude exists you weren't aware of.

Good Luck!
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Lounge   -   #3
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    You shouldhave maybe thought about it before they posted the ad.
    None the less theyll probably choose you cause they know you can do it.

But then again, why not quit, youve done your work there, go to Uni and start a totally new Life, career etc?

The world is full of oportunities

4. Lounge   -   #4
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Offer you services if they can fit them in according to your Uni schedule plus your normal services(Work I mean ) during holidays.

I they dont accept, then that is their loss. You have been give your services loyally to the community and in doing so you are an upstanding citizen in your area.

@Dan. I am feeling a bit nauseous. I may not be able to continue working tonight.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    JONNO_CELEBS's Avatar Densly Loadan BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    In the uk a (paying) Employer does not have to take on a person if they are not going to stay, unless the job is temporary they can legally refuse you on the grounds that you will not fulfil the job requirement because you will be leaving.
    This comes down to the companies discretion.

Jonno B)
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@12 March 2004 - 17:39
    In the uk a (paying) Employer does not have to take on a person if they are not going to stay, unless the job is temporary they can legally refuse you on the grounds that you will not fulfil the job requirement because you will be leaving.
    This comes down to the companies discretion.

Jonno B)
    I can understand that, but what if the situation was that I would be more than willing to stay though might need some change in hours...?

This is something I can't predict I have no idea what my Uni timetable will be, but I would try my best to adhere to my work timetable.

I like j2k4's comments on this, it would be strange to carry on working their voluntarily though whilst someone gets paid to do the job that I've done for so long. Though from a purely financial view of it I would actually be no better off than I am now on the dole. (Though I would have the hassel from the job centre... )

@Zed: I don't really want to quit, and even if my timetable made it impossible to attend work I would at least try to attend on Saturdays...the work I do now is relevant to what my future plans are.

@boab: Up-standing citizen? I wouldn't go that far...