Thread: Pine

Poster
    I put in my pop, smtp, and username in pine and I can revice messages fine, but when I try to send something it doesn't work most of the time. Yesterday I was trying it out and tried to send a test message to my hotmail account (could of been down ) and I never got it so I tried my yahoo account and it came in today

I can send messages in Evolution fine, I think my isp is using Squirel mail if that matters at all

It also reports my adress wrong, it shows my linux account not my email account name...

Am I missing something stupid? I read a few FAQs and they didn't say anything about it... :helpsmile:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by shn@12 March 2004 - 20:06
    Pine for n00bs

Man pages which you already have.
    I read them before I came here, I always read docs first if I have a problem. If there's one thing i've learned in the 5-6 months of using linux it's always check the docs.

I kept looking and found this, but it didn't work (restarted pine) http://www.cam.ac.uk/cs/docs/faq/ep20.html

I'm going to try a reinstall tomorrow, it was complaining about I didn't have ssl and I did, so I got an upgraded one and a whole bunch of programs wanted the existing one...

Good night

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    It's really not that serious since there are an abundance of mail apps for Linux. Try mutt , you should have it installed.

Most people do not even use pine, let alone attempt to reinstall it once they find out how crappy it is.

I did not know pine came with a gui. Or are you attempting to go command line now?

Grab a shell account from here and use pine all you want.

:rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm:

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    I am just trying different apps, I didn't like evolution because it seemed kind of bloated. I think there is a gui for pine, but I wasn't using it.

Like I said before I do read the docs...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by LSA@13 March 2004 - 09:26
    I am just trying different apps, I didn't like evolution because it seemed kind of bloated. I think there is a gui for pine, but I wasn't using it.

Like I said before I do read the docs...
    Calm down LSA.

I was just pullin your leg.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster

I was checking on mutt, and found a FAQ

How can I make Mutt use a SMTP server to send email, like Pine or [insert favourite Windows-based email client here]?

answer from Mikko Hänninen
    You can't. Mutt is a MUA (Mail User Agent), not a MTA (Mail Transport Agent). Other email programs include MTA functionality but the Mutt way is to use the proper tool for each task, instead of making a giant program that does everything. In short, it's not Mutt's job to get the mail to a remote SMTP server.

If your system does not have a properly configured MTA such as sendmail for Mutt to use, and you only need one to send all emails to a remote SMTP server for further delivery, then look at Sven's list of small MTAs at http://www.guckes.net/mta/ .

------------

Why is pine bad? It seems ok, if I could get SMTP working right.
    But I do like that mutt uses VI to compose