Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Us Plans "special Skills" Draft

  1. #1
    Washington -- The government is taking the first steps toward a targeted military draft of Americans with special skills in computers and foreign languages.
    Full article.

    The agency already has in place a special system to register and draft health care personnel ages 20 to 44 in more than 60 specialties if necessary in a crisis.
    Looks like the Pentagon values that First Aid course you did. They may even be wanting the hackers the FBI has been chasing for years! Just thank whoever you thank that you're not an Iraqi refugee: "Welcome to America, you are now a Selecive Service interpreter and you will be on a plane to Iraq within the next 24 hours."

    Is this going too far? If the US is over-commited to conflicts around the world, wouldn't it make sense to not get so involved or does George "I'm a War President" Bush just not really care about America's sons and daughters? I mean look at the stats:

    American Casualties in Iraq


    Since May 1st - Total: 426
    In Combat: 278

    Since war began - Total: 566
    In Combat: 390

    Since Capture of Saddam - Total: 108
    In Combat: 78

    Total wounded: 3212

    Source

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    A post seasoned with a bit of historical perspective might aid in your rhetoric, Alex.

    Or maybe you should post about what you think Dubya does care about; that would be infinitely easier, and should also be right on the tip of your tongue:

    BIG OIL!

    We have invested bodies and lives in many places.

    So has your country.

    This is not a new phenomenon.

    Any lives lost for any reason is regrettable, and as U.S. citizens, believe me, we feel the loss.

    If you feel so strongly about it, why not drop old George a line to let him know your thoughts.

    I'm sure he'd appreciate it.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    I have!

    I was just very suprised to see that people with special linguistic and computer skill could be just called into action for the US government.

    Does that scare anyone else?

  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,401
    "Stop loss" is pretty scary too.

    There's a rather interesting case of a soldier from the United States applying for refugee status in Canada.

    things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@15 March 2004 - 05:04
    "Stop loss" is pretty scary too.

    There's a rather interesting case of a soldier from the United States applying for refugee status in Canada.

    MN-

    Surely you will grant this is anecdotal?

    Alex-

    Why, exactly, does this scare you?

    If the services would train them in those areas anyway, and the job market is a little soft, why not make this expedient move?

    I must admit, when laid against the tactics of Al Qaida, this does seem to be an incredibly devious move on the part of the U.S.

    Especially the part where they are publishing their intent to do this.

    Will Al Qaida, in turn, resort to similarly "covert" strategies?
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,401
    Last year, somewhere in the vicinity of 270 applied for refugee status. They don't generally get it, but it happens. His just happened to be the first case this year. I estimate that number will be closer to 300 this year, as the number of people from the States applying for refugee status has gone up quite drastically in recent years.

    things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@15 March 2004 - 12:08
    Last year, somewhere in the vicinity of 270 applied for refugee status. They don't generally get it, but it happens. His just happened to be the first case this year. I estimate that number will be closer to 300 this year, as the number of people from the States applying for refugee status has gone up quite drastically in recent years.

    I never was familiar with actual numbers, and don't have any urge to re-visit that particular era, but I'm wondering (whimsically; my favorite way ) how many of our draft-eligible youngsters sought refuge there in the 60s-70s?

    I don't find this circumstance particularly alarming or exceptional.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,585
    Originally posted by Alex H@14 March 2004 - 23:22
    Washington -- The government is taking the first steps toward a targeted military draft of Americans with special skills in computers and foreign languages.
    Full article.

    The agency already has in place a special system to register and draft health care personnel ages 20 to 44 in more than 60 specialties if necessary in a crisis.
    Looks like the Pentagon values that First Aid course you did. They may even be wanting the hackers the FBI has been chasing for years! Just thank whoever you thank that you're not an Iraqi refugee: "Welcome to America, you are now a Selecive Service interpreter and you will be on a plane to Iraq within the next 24 hours."

    Is this going too far? If the US is over-commited to conflicts around the world, wouldn't it make sense to not get so involved or does George "I'm a War President" Bush just not really care about America's sons and daughters? I mean look at the stats:

    American Casualties in Iraq


    Since May 1st - Total: 426
    In Combat: 278

    Since war began - Total: 566
    In Combat: 390

    Since Capture of Saddam - Total: 108
    In Combat: 78

    Total wounded: 3212

    Source
    No one will work for an oppressor.

    And the FBI is not chasing anyone. The last succesful catch they had was because the person wanted to get caught for publicity.

    And if they draft anybody for anything it will be males.

  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,401
    No idea, I doubt there are any hard numbers on that. But there are towns that have a good chunk of the population made up by draft-dodgers. Those are some pretty interesting towns.

    The main difference would be that they were drafted, so the military service section was applicable. As far as I know, any soldier from the United States applying as a refugee that voluntarily signed on to the military hasn't been successful in getting that status, although technically they should be able to.

    things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

  10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@15 March 2004 - 23:26
    As far as I know, any soldier from the United States applying as a refugee that voluntarily signed on to the military hasn't been successful in getting that status, although technically they should be able to.

    Why, MN?

    And why technically?

    Is military service similar to a pregnancy, in that both can be aborted due to inconvenience?
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •