Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Pc Restarts On Its Own... :(

tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Originally posted by lynx+15 March 2004 - 18:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 15 March 2004 - 18:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by tralalala@15 March 2004 - 15:38
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@15 March 2004 - 18:21
    <!--QuoteBegin-tralalala
    @15 March 2004 - 10:09
    ive done an online Panda scan and it found a Netskey.D virus... could that be the cause?

havent seen it restart yet though...

Rafi

It sure can.

But more likely a driver issue.

what do you mean by "driver issue"??

Rafi
    He means a driver with a bug in it.

It could even be a driver you are not actually using, but is loaded because windows thinks you MIGHT use it.

Example: a friend of mine has a pci graphics card, but the mobo drivers include the AGP port drivers. When this driver is halted (at shutdown) it fails because there is no AGP card, resulting in BSOD. Auto restart made the system start back up again, which was annoying since clean shutdown was almost impossible. Simply disabling the driver cured the problem.

In other cases you may need to get updated drivers. [/b][/quote]
    well, a driver with a bug in it could well be this Netskey.D that was obviously in one of the drivers, correct?

and i have turned off auto restart (i DO recall that when it restarted on its own, only once, then this blue screen came up for half a second... but that hasnt hapened since)

Rafi

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by tralalala+15 March 2004 - 11:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tralalala @ 15 March 2004 - 11:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by lynx@15 March 2004 - 18:44
    Originally posted by tralalala@15 March 2004 - 15:38
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@15 March 2004 - 18:21
    <!--QuoteBegin-tralalala
    @15 March 2004 - 10:09
    ive done an online Panda scan and it found a Netskey.D virus... could that be the cause?

havent seen it restart yet though...

Rafi

It sure can.

But more likely a driver issue.

what do you mean by "driver issue"??

Rafi

He means a driver with a bug in it.

It could even be a driver you are not actually using, but is loaded because windows thinks you MIGHT use it.

Example: a friend of mine has a pci graphics card, but the mobo drivers include the AGP port drivers. When this driver is halted (at shutdown) it fails because there is no AGP card, resulting in BSOD. Auto restart made the system start back up again, which was annoying since clean shutdown was almost impossible. Simply disabling the driver cured the problem.

In other cases you may need to get updated drivers.
    well, a driver with a bug in it could well be this Netskey.D that was obviously in one of the drivers, correct?

and i have turned off auto restart (i DO recall that when it restarted on its own, only once, then this blue screen came up for half a second... but that hasnt hapened since)

Rafi [/b][/quote]
    it could have been that the virus infected a driver file.

most likely the driver problem would lie in graphics card&#092;chipset&#092;modem or sound driver problems. I would update all of these to the latest (only if you get the restart again). Another common problem that causes blue screens is faulty ram.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    well it wouldnt make much sense because this is the first time this is happening since i had the goddamn windows Me which i planned to remove as i bought the PC, but my dad never got around to it

Rafi

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by tralalala@15 March 2004 - 12:05
    well it wouldnt make much sense because this is the first time this is happening since i had the goddamn windows Me which i planned to remove as i bought the PC, but my dad never got around to it

Rafi
    download XP and format the drive and install XP and problem will be solved. or just reinstalling ME might fix it too.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+15 March 2004 - 19:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 15 March 2004 - 19:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tralalala@15 March 2004 - 12:05
    well it wouldnt make much sense because this is the first time this is happening since i had the goddamn windows Me which i planned to remove as i bought the PC, but my dad never got around to it&nbsp;

Rafi
    download XP and format the drive and install XP and problem will be solved. or just reinstalling ME might fix it too. [/b][/quote]
    your misunderstanding... i USED to have windows ME, about 2 years ago, and thats when this restarting last happened.

so im wondering what made it start up again...

Rafi

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by tralalala+15 March 2004 - 12:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tralalala &#064; 15 March 2004 - 12:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@15 March 2004 - 19:27
    <!--QuoteBegin-tralalala
    @15 March 2004 - 12:05

Rafi

download XP and format the drive and install XP and problem will be solved. or just reinstalling ME might fix it too.
    your misunderstanding... i USED to have windows ME, about 2 years ago, and thats when this restarting last happened.

so im wondering what made it start up again...

Rafi [/b][/quote]
    oh i c, you could try a repair install that helps me with some problems usually and it will leave all your programs and downloads on your hard drive. and it doesnt take too long to do. just put in your XP cd and start installing as usual and when it asks if youd like to repair your operatiing systen select yes.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    you dont understand... i dont NEED to reinstall anything... its just i was wondering why it was restarting on its own...

Rafi

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    2 years without a reinstall? That&#39;s quite long. You should consider a format and reinstall (a new start).

Especially since you say you just had a virus.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by tralalala@15 March 2004 - 14:13
    you dont understand... i dont NEED to reinstall anything... its just i was wondering why it was restarting on its own...

Rafi
    I didnt say you NEED to reinstall it. im just saying that it would be a lot easier if you did reinstall it, especially since its been 2 years and im sure the hard drive has accumulated a lot of junk over that time and might benefit from a reinstall anyway. youll probably fix your problems and youll get much better performance.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    muchspl2
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@15 March 2004 - 14:48
    2 years without a reinstall? That&#39;s quite long. You should consider a format and reinstall (a new start).

Especially since you say you just had a virus.
    word
    I normal hate when people reformat instead of fixing minor problem but two years is longer than I have even gone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast