View Poll Results: What is the greatest invention ever made, and why?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • wheel

18 27.69%
  • computer

15 23.08%
  • windows®

2 3.08%
  • light bulb

8 12.31%
  • satellites

1 1.54%
  • other (specify)

21 32.31%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: The Greatest Invention Ever Made

Poster
    Originally posted by Wizard_Mon1@16 March 2004 - 00:04
    Language is the same though it was never invented it developed slowely but surely. No one ever sat down and thought now i will invent language, people added to language and it was adapted but never invented more like expanded.

I still go for Beer.
    The language we write did not exist.

Man came along and gradually created it.

It is now commonplace, in various formats.

Man invented written language.

There does not have to be a Eureka moment for something to be invented.

2. Lounge   -   #42
    Poster
    Originally posted by mrcall1969@16 March 2004 - 00:04
    I preferred JimF
    Did you not feel she was a bit too h4r5h too often.

3. Lounge   -   #43
    I would have to say air conditioning. Too me it seems like a magic trick, and since it will be around 100F for several months here, I never tire of it.

Honorable mention to "indoor plumbing".
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. Lounge   -   #44
    preparation H

5. Lounge   -   #45
    Poster
    Originally posted by mrcall1969@16 March 2004 - 00:04
    I preferred JimF

Aren't all inventions there for the finding then??
    Quoting for edit.

No, some things require human ingenuity and are not to be found in nature.

Trust me, try to grow an internal combustion engine. It works, but the fuel economy is crap and the power, well forget hill-climbing as a pastime.

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Poster
    Actually having had heated debate with Skweeky the very first invention must have been the smallest, bluntest blade, without that man couldn't have done anything. So that, I believe, must have been the greatest invention ever.

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Its magic baby!
    Apologies, i thought you were talking about spoken word.

However, i still think that symbols have existed as a means of communication for a very long time, relatively. Constructing collected symbols into a language was inevitable and happened in different cultures at differing times, while also being mixed and influenced by other cultural symbols.

I am not saying language is not extremely valuable. I am mearly questioning its relevance in terms of what, i think, the author of this thread mean't when he said invention.

I could be wrong, and thats ok.
    Wiz.

8. Lounge   -   #48
    Its magic baby!
    Originally posted by mrcall1969@15 March 2004 - 23:17
    Actually having had heated debate with Skweeky the very first invention must have been the smallest, bluntest blade, without that man couldn't have done anything. So that, I believe, must have been the greatest invention ever.
    Man the tool maker: Chimps, as an example, combine or use objects in order to create a tool, this could possibly be the first instance, when early man used an object as a tool.
    Wiz.

9. Lounge   -   #49
    Poster
    Originally posted by Wizard_Mon1+16 March 2004 - 00:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wizard_Mon1 &#064; 16 March 2004 - 00:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mrcall1969@15 March 2004 - 23:17
    Actually having had heated debate with Skweeky the very first invention must have been the smallest, bluntest blade, without that man couldn&#39;t have done anything. So that, I believe, must have been the greatest invention ever.
    Man the tool maker: Chimps, as an example, combine or use objects in order to create a tool, this could possibly be the first instance, when early man used an object as a tool. [/b][/quote]
    Well, that is what I was getting at. All inventions must have developed from developing the first tools (inventions), so this first one must be the greatest.

I don&#39;t think it&#39;s language because you dont have to communicate to create an invention, only spread it.

10. Lounge   -   #50
    Poster
    well i want to say math , cuz you can relate pretty much everything with it , but really not sure if its considered an invention , cuz its not just numbers , well as you can see im not as smart as you think , so if anybody wants to correct my error or put it in words people can understand.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast