Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Musicworld Database

UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Glad to see so many positive posts about SS. Its the best place we have been to where you can actually dl mp3 albums and chat to members without the hassels of learning IRC scripts - which a lot of people find confusing. Also, the amount of good quality music i have obtained has been extreme to say the least. Sure there are rules there too - just like here - but we are in our own way helping to contribute to this board as well by asking every new visitor to register here first. Now that may sound pointless as they can register here and then start taking our songs - but at the same time they must share and hopefully will get to like this board as well and start posting here.

So, i recommend joining our little (not any more) community and start sharing your files and meeting the members. The whole idea being a dream of FC's to create a worldwide database of good music - therebye making it easier to obtain the stuff.

Peace
    UKMan

2. Music   -   #112
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Hmm. It seems some people really like Soulseek, but I have to tell my experience.

SS: the movie - At the recommendation of FC, I downloaded SS and got started. After some time, I was able to connect and retrieve the room list. However, I couldn't find the KLF room. I found no option to put the room list in alphabetical order. So I ditched it, and tried again another day.

SS: the sequel - So I tried again, this time, I managed to get into SS, found the Klite room, and follow the instructions that another user posted: join room, add all users to buddy list, right click user, and browse files. However, out of 13 people that were in the room at the time, only 2 people were sharing files.

SS: the trilogy continues: One last time I gave it a whirl. Found the room, tried again, but had no luck. So in the chat area, inside the KLF room, I tried to ask politely for help. 30 minutes later, not one response. Finally I gave up on the room idea, and tried to do a basic search for files. All I ended up with were a bunch of low quality rips.

Which brings me to today. I really don't recommend this program to anyone. However, as I'm a newbie at SoulSeek, maybe I did something wrong. I'm very familiar with filesharing programs. I use eMule, Kazaa and WinMX and I can make my way around IRC like a pro. Anyone want to offer some advice?--

Jibbler
    Proud member of MDS

3. Music   -   #113
    namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    Thats one of the problems with the room in ss- we have to manually add each user. So if you joined the room and most users were away from there PC (not uncommon) you'd have to wait for the users to come on and add you to there buddylist before downloading.
    I've been using the KLF room for some time now and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

4. Music   -   #114
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by namzuf9@23 March 2003 - 03:36
    Thats one of the problems with the room in ss- we have to manually add each user. So if you joined the room and most users were away from there PC (not uncommon) you'd have to wait for the users to come on and add you to there buddylist before downloading.
    I've been using the KLF room for some time now and I have nothing but good things to say about it.
    Also - a lot of the users dont actually announce they are NOT there. The option is to click on the AWAY button, which changes your icon from a bird in flight (at home) to a bird with the wings down (AWAY) - not everyone does that im afraid which is confusing for someone who has just entered.

There is also another option in the settings that allows you to automatically be AWAY if you minimize the programme to the system tray. This is good because if you minimize SS then you cant see the chat to participate anyway - but if a message is sent to you or your nick is mentioned, then the icon in the system tray flashes.

The programme can be somewhat of a resource hog, especially on older computors or PC's with little RAM. Also, as mentioned, each user must add you personally to their lists - even if you have added them.

It is suggested that you dont have any other programmes running that also need a lot of system resource - other IRC programmes etc. Surfing dosnt seem to be too effected but can be slower -especially through modems.

When downloading files from other users, its allways best if possible to DL from those with higher speed figures - these are to the right of each nick. This is especially important for modem users. Also, dont have too many slots open for DL/UL - for a modem i would suggest 1 or 2 slots for your own download and the same for uploads - but experimenting will help. Also it is recommended NOT to mess around with the KBPS options. This allows you to strip the bandwidth for UL/DL - leave them at 0.

There are many issues im sure - but i hope i have answered some of them.

Please dont give up Jibbler.

Peace
    UKMan

5. Music   -   #115
    Poster
    Jibbler

If no one is about then pm them. They will get your message as soon as they come back to the site.

Right click on the name and send message to user. Just type something like please add me to your list.

Next time I am on I will see the message and add you. I just leave it running most of the time in the background so I'm connected probably 15 or 16 hours a day. Obviously not there all the time, but you will be added to my list within a day. I am sure everyone else will do the same, we all know you.

It really is worth it if you want reliable links to verified music, directly downloaded from people you know. It really is a wysiwyg thing. No hashes involved. If someone is sharing a file you can see it. You may have to wait in a queue, but not for long.

6. Music   -   #116
    Poster
    Come on Jibbler,you got to join us.Normally have about 20ish people in room so look around that mark on the rooms list,you should find us easier then.

As for not being there,just be patient as most of us are on 24/7 and will see your message in the room when we check our screens.As JimiF said just PM a few of us to let us know your on your way and as soon as you get there we will all add you.

7. Music   -   #117
    Just wanted to let people know we are still. Please join us. You won't regret it.

8. Music   -   #118
    Poster
    hey!!! I am the MP3_G0d u know....I'll have to check this out of course.....

Oh and Summerlinda...thx for letting me know I wasn't the only one there!!!

9. Music   -   #119
    Poster
    hmmm...couldn't we do something similar with say...the fusion mod for eMule?? it would be pretty simple...just add a KLBOARD community...

just a thought...maybe we could do something like that for files other than MP3s perhaps....

like I said..just a thought

10. Music   -   #120
    sounds good - I'm trying it out now...

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast