Thread: Help Installing Hardrive?

PhEl's Avatar Non Stop Kaos
    I want to install my own harddrive but people have been telling me they dont recommend it because touching the wrong cables my break the computer is that true ?? is not can i get instructions on how to put it in? :helpsmile:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    There's a guide here about upgrading your drive. If you are simply adding a second drive you can ignore all the stuff about Norton Ghost. Concentrate on the sections "General Considerations" through to "Hard Drive Fitness Test".
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    When you buy a new hard drive, instructions come with it. Just make sure and follow the instructions and you can not go wrong. The cables nowadays are kind of fool proof, they only go in one way. The IDE cable sometimes can be plugged in backwards so make sure the red stripe on the cable goes net to the power cable and you should be fine. Make sure to unplug you PC before the install too. Follow the instructions on the jumper settings as well. One will have to be a master and the other a slave, or if you plug it in the secondary port it might just have to be a master.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Originally posted by PhEl@17 March 2004 - 09:17
    I want to install my own harddrive but people have been telling me they dont recommend it because touching the wrong cables my break the computer is that true ?? is not can i get instructions on how to put it in? :helpsmile:
    Somebody's just messing with you, or are dumbasses themselves. Touching a cable isn't going to hurt the pc.
    Just follow the guide lynx posted, and you will be just fine, Installing a Hard Drive is very basic. Just don't drop it.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    ya its very easy to install a hard drive. the worst that could happen if you dont plug it in right is that it wont be detected by the motherboard, in which case you probably either didnt set the jumper settings correct or you put the cable on upside down.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    Originally posted by firefox@17 March 2004 - 16:18
    When you buy a new hard drive, instructions come with it. Just make sure and follow the instructions and you can not go wrong. The cables nowadays are kind of fool proof, they only go in one way. The IDE cable sometimes can be plugged in backwards so make sure the red stripe on the cable goes net to the power cable and you should be fine. Make sure to unplug you PC before the install too. Follow the instructions on the jumper settings as well. One will have to be a master and the other a slave, or if you plug it in the secondary port it might just have to be a master.
    when i got my hard drive off ebuyer i got nothing just the hard drive.

all u got to do is put the hard drive in a 3.5inch slot put in the 4 pin power wire.
    put the IDE cable in to it make sure its the middle one in the wire not the end out that should all rdy be in the hard drive u got now.

if u get any errors l8r on saying missing like starting with a N then when u turn ur pc on press f1 go to the end tab i think and go to hard drives or some thing and make sure the hard drive with the windows on is set as the 1st hard drive.

i had a problem installing mine and thats how i fixed it.

all so make sure i dont rip the side of the IDE cable cos i riped mine and i had to get a new one dont worry if u do just get a new one from the pc shop in ur town there only £3-£5.
    good luck with the hard drive hope this helps