Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How Do You Watch Your Movies?

Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Thanks for the reponses people. Managed to get it to work using XP's multiple monitors feature.

But that XBox thing sounds the best of all. Shame I haven't got one, but that is one more (big) advantage for the machine. B)

2. Movies & TV   -   #32
    Originally posted by Thickey@13 March 2003 - 21:30
    No No No...

Are you all mad ??

By FAR and away the best thing to use is an Xbox... it works just SO well.

get a standard Xbox.. bung a mod chip in it and install XBMP on it.

You get an excellent media player, no huge PC next to your TV.. the ability for AC3 output and a games console (which you can install mame, and a load of other great things on it).

Once you see a working system there is no going back !
    How did you mod your xbox? I have heard installing a mod chip is not walk in the park and requires some very accurate soldering.

More importantly how do you get your movies to your xbox? It has an HD yes. 8 gig I think. Assuming your running linux off of it and you download them?

Does the drive have enough space to download more than a couple of movies without having a xbox with a bogged down HD?

Using the mod chip negates your XBOX's Xbox live capability.. going forward essential negating your xbox gaming ability in general. I would love for my xbox to be able to do more, but I would never do it unless I had an xbox that was not modded, and I can find better ways to spend 250 dollars.

3. Movies & TV   -   #33
    I was not able to mod it myself... but a friend of mine did it for me, he has done Playstations in the past. There is only one hard point to solder... and you can get non-solder solutions.

As for the movies.. I just stream them from my PC. you can use a bit of server software (called relax) or just use file and printer sharing over SMB.. so I can browse the whole list of movies on my 120GB media server PC. IT is flawless. And I can listen to MP3's.. even shoutcast support and visualisations.

I have an Xbox live kit.. just install a switch, one flick and it goes back to an off the shelf xbox (not that there is anything worth using xbox live for yet). this site has a load of resources and ideas including the switch mod.

4. Movies & TV   -   #34
    Wow!
    All these processes of yours sound rather complicated. I'm happy enough just watching them on my comp.

5. Movies & TV   -   #35
    <smug mode>
    I re-encode & burn to DVD, then playback on my NEC 9PG XTRA projection system on a 6 foot screen&#33; Moving later in the year & building a dedicated home theatre, so I can take more advantage of the potential 25 foot screen projection size that this beast can handle (although I suspect my wife will make me cap it at around 10 foot ;-) &#33;
    </smug mode>

6. Movies & TV   -   #36
    actually i watch them using my playstation2...

just burn the avi along with the ps2 media player, pop the cd in the ps2 and off you go

ps2 media player from here : www.ps2reality.net

note. ps2 must be chipped.

7. Movies & TV   -   #37
    I have my computer hooked up to my 28" tv with 10 speakers surround sound....but it usually is to loud to use since i mainly watch movies at night so i have to settle with my tv&#39;s mono speaker

8. Movies & TV   -   #38
    Hello....I have recently started to download movies....I spent alot of time downloading tears of the sun. it was two big files and when I clicked on it my ms windows media player opened, looked like it was starting to play but there was no video or sound. I thought/read something about codecs so I downloaded divx 5.0.3 player and installed it. I tried to run the first half of the movie again and the same thing happened. I went to Microsoft to update the codecs if that was the problem and it said everyhting was up to date.

Can someone give me the readers digest version of what to do to watch this movie and get more or a link on what to do......I have looked all over on what to do with no luck

What is the best player to download to watch these ?

Here it the name of the movie etc: [tmd]Tears.of.the.Sun.(FTF).ts.(1of2).real do I need to change the ending of this file or anything to watch it on my microsoft media player series 9 9.00.0.2980 ??

S O M E O N E P L E A S E H E L P M E THANKS

James Alderson
    [email protected]

9. Movies & TV   -   #39
    First check out the file with GSpot (=included in codecpack)
    Open your moviefile in it and look carefully at generated info.
    It should say with which codec your movie was encoded but ALSO
    if that codec is installed on your machine.
    Various codecpacks obtainable at http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234