Thread: How To Clean Your Pc

Just bored!

Before you begin, have the following supplies handy:

Goof Off
    Compressed air -- 16-oz can
    Clean white rags
    Q-Tips -- the longer the better
    3M toner vacuum
    TIM cleaner (Get it off a computer store)

--------------------------------------

Clean Your Hard Drive

Fans: Check the power supply fan for airflow and the processor fan for movement at least every six months. Take the case off of the computer and turn the computer on to check the processor fan. If one of the fans stops while the machine is on, you need to replace it immediately to prevent further damage.

Computer case: While the computer case is off, use a can of compressed air (available at most office supply stores) to blow out the dust. Use short bursts to avoid condensation.

Drives: Clean the floppy drive(s), CD drives, and tape drive to help prevent errors during use. Clean with either Simple Green or 409 spray. Be careful not to get the insides of the drives wet.

Tape drive: If you have a tape drive, you may be able to clean it by using a long Q-Tip dampened with rubbing alcohol. Open the door and clean the rubber pinch roller and head located inside. If you have a DAT, SLT, or DLT drive, this may not be possible, since the pinch roller and heads are too difficult to access.

Clean Your Mouse

Mechanical mouses almost always need cleaning. The easiest way to clean them is to remove the mouse ball to access the X and Y rollers. A careful inspection of the small rollers usually reveals gunk.

This stuff can be removed using a Q-Tip dampened with rubbing alcohol and a steel dental pick or toothpick to help free the particles. The ball can also be cleaned with an alcohol-dampened rag.

Keyboard

Before you clean your keyboard, turn your computer off. Next, write down the locations of the keys so you can put them back in the right places. Use a thin screwdriver or a butter knife to gently pry up the rectangular keycaps.

Don't try to remove the Space Bar, Shift, Enter, or any other oversize keys -- it can be difficult to put them back in place. If liquid is present, sop it up with a paper towel. Use compressed air to remove hair, dust, and other loose materials.

If you find built-up gunk, use a mild household cleaner on a cotton swap to clean it up. Gently but firmly press each keycap back in place, following the layout in your diagram.

CPU Fans

The fans inside your computer system are a mixed blessing: On the plus side, they move air over heat-generating components, helping to keep your system cool. But they also concentrate dust both on the fans and inside your CPU case, which can cause heat buildup.

To get the maximum benefit from the fans, you need to clean out the dust at least twice a year. Go to your local computer or office supply store and buy a mini-vacuum cleaner and a can of compressed air. With these in hand, unplug your computer and open its case. Once it's open, be sure to touch the power supply periodically to discharge chip-frying static electricity.

CPU - [Mother Board, RAM and Other Chips]

Use the compressed air to clean dust from chips, circuit boards, and fan blades. The compressed air helps to clump the dust particles together, making it easier to pick them out or vacuum them up. With a clean system, your fans will do a better job keeping things cool.

Clean Your Monitor

Clean the outside of the monitor with Simple Green, 409, or a similar cleaner.

Spray a cloth with glass cleaner and wipe the screen. If you attempt to clean an LCD screen, be careful not to press too hard on the screen. Be sure to use a clean, soft cloth.

We do not recommend cleaning the inside of a conventional monitor (CRT) unless you are an experienced technician. The picture tube retains a high voltage even after the power is shut off.

CLEAN YOUR HEATSINK (TIM)
    - Use a TIM cleaner.
    When cleaning your CPU or heatsink we recommend you start out by cleaning your hands or using a pair of plastic gloves. If you do use gloves, make sure you're using the clear plastic disposable gloves that you can get at a superstore (the ones used for stuffing turkeys and reading newspapers) and NOT the surgical gloves used in labs and hospitals - these latter gloves have a layer of powder that would be an additinal impurity on your heatsink/cpu. If you don't use gloves, clean your hands using dish detergent like Dawn or Palmolive - these are good enough to strip away some oils but not leave some sort of nutrient or chemical residue. (in other words, don't use soaps like Dove or moisturizer soaps or dish washing machine detergent).

Cleaning your CPU/heatsink is an important step during the installation of your CPU/heatsink. Contaminants like old, dried, or less effective thermal paste or finger oils can reduce the effectiveness of your new paste. Lint, hair and dust can reduce surface contact and adversely affect heat transfer. Remember, on some CPUs the contact surface is only the size of a your fingertip, so the contact between surface areas is extremely important.

Much more to come!
    P4 2.4C / 1024M / R9600XT 128M / 80GB / 400W
    Peer-to-peer Programs...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    You must be bored mate,

o'jkin'

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    here's a way to accomplish the same thing without buying anything, if you own a common vacuum cleaner.

1) take the computer apart.
    2) shake/blow/brush the dust out of everything. the case will prolly have the most dust in it, so turn it open-side-down and shake vigorously.
    3) put computer back together precisely as it was before.
    4) vacuum the dust off of the floor.

if you do this in the backyard, you can even skip the vacuuming part. nature will take care of that for you.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    and for people that want to leave their fans on the heatsync but want to vacuum out teh dust, stick a pencil or stick into teh fan so that the vacuum doesnt make it spin. this spinning is making the fan run at more than its designed speed and will wear out the bearings, causing a loud, rattely fan. same for the power supply, stick a pencil in to stop the fan before vacuuming it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    You guys are gonna get some one electricutated
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    Originally posted by SingaBoiy@19 March 2004 - 17:52
    You guys are gonna get some one electricutated
    lets just hope some one doesn't

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    while i can see that your goal is to get this topic pinned, i believe that there are too many pinned topics. soooooo, vb mite pin a link here

looks good enuf to get pinned in my opinion

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by atiVidia@19 March 2004 - 14:27
    while i can see that your goal is to get this topic pinned, i believe that there are too many pinned topics. soooooo, vb mite pin a link here

maybe once he's finished the whole guide but not yet...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+19 March 2004 - 18:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 19 March 2004 - 18:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-atiVidia@19 March 2004 - 14:27
    while i can see that your goal is to get this topic pinned, i believe that there are too many pinned topics. soooooo,&nbsp; vb mite pin a link here

maybe once he&#39;s finished the whole guide but not yet... [/b][/quote]
    I think he should also post a link to where he copied it from.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by callum+19 March 2004 - 14:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (callum @ 19 March 2004 - 14:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@19 March 2004 - 18:46
    <!--QuoteBegin-atiVidia
    @19 March 2004 - 14:27
    while i can see that your goal is to get this topic pinned, i believe that there are too many pinned topics. soooooo,&nbsp; vb mite pin a link here

maybe once he&#39;s finished the whole guide but not yet...
    I think he should also post a link to where he copied it from. [/b][/quote]
    he copied it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast