Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Prob

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    i play splinter cell. everything is fine, then i hear a click, sorta like the click that u hear when u turn on the computer. then the hdd lights just go on, and don't go off. ususally while playing a game, the hdd lights don't do much unless ur loading, but i wasn't loading. the hdd lights don't turn off. i exit the game, and the hdd lights go off in a bit. in a minute or 2, the comp crashes. it has happened 4-5 times now, starting with ut2k4 and now splinter cell. wtf??? ? the click sounds like when u turn on the comp, so could it be that my psu is failing? when i shut down after it crashes, i put my hand on the psu, and it's unusually hot.

:helpsmile: :helpsmile:

and the last 2 times that it crashed, i quit the game, and opened speedfan, and everything crashed. that happened twice

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    It could be many things abu esp' the way your a nutta for overclock everything.

I've had it happen before ,reinstalling my g/fx drivers fixed it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    put it all back to stock speeds\voltages and try it then see if it frezes.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    i just had a problem similar to the one you described, pretty recently... one of my HDs was locking up, making the OS slow down to a crawl, the HD light would stay on indefinitely, until the HD would actually shut off and disappear from Windows & i'd have to reboot to get the HD working again. it happened every couple of days... then i got a new C: drive, took the comp apart, put it back together, reformatted, and one of the other drives started doing the same thing every few minutes. i decided that the IDE cable might have something to do with it, so i took it out, put in a new one, and the problem went away.

try swapping in a different IDE cable, and maybe plug it into a different IDE port on the mobo. if you're using a flat cable, make sure that it's not crimped or creased, and that it's not touching anything really hot like a heatsink or the surface of a drive. and double-check to make sure the connections are pressed in firmly... a loose IDE cable could create probs.

also, as a "just in case"-- run scandisk in order to fix/quarantine any bad sectors that may exist. that's not an uncommon defect at all... bad sectors develop pretty easily on HDs that were originally in perfect condition when you first bought 'em. bad spots can also grow bigger, so it's a good idea idea to run scandisk every couple of weeks or whenever you remember to, just to help the system keep tabs on the "health" of the HD.

anyway, it sounds like an HD or IDE cable prob to me, not a PSU prob. the PSU is supposed to be hot. that's why it's got a fan in it... 'cause it has like 300 or 400 watts of electricity running through it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    none of this explains y my psu is so hot though. it's unusually hot

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@19 March 2004 - 21:44
    none of this explains y my psu is so hot though. it's unusually hot
    Do the problems have to be related?
    No, you may have two issues.

I also came across this problem and suspected the IDE cable, but swapping it made no difference.
    I tried the hard drive in another machine, ran scandisk in thorough mode, and it happened again. Faulty HDD. It took longer to lock up the longer the machine had been switched off. That was a Caviar drive - the only one that went belly up of the loads that I've seen.
    I did manage to save the documents that the gentleman had stored on it by moving them until it locked up, then letting it cool befoire continuing.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Are the fans working in the PSU?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@19 March 2004 - 17:50
    Are the fans working in the PSU?
    both are working fine

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Did you try setting things back to stock speeds?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    how many case fans do you have abu? and are those fand that u have in reeasonible places (intake at bottom, out at the top)?

since its getting really hot and freezing when u play games it would make sense that if the heat isnt removed by case fans its going out through the PSU.

edit: oh yeah forgot, check what ur voltages are either in the bios or speedfan if u can get it to open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast