Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ps2 Hard Drive

Well, the PS2 HDD is here, and costs $99 (more than I paid for my new PS2). Is it really worth the money? First of all, I have no desire whatsoever to play Final Fantasy XI. So what does the PS2 HDD do anyways? Also, what makes it different then a normal hard drive? Some sort of formatting? I sure hope someone releases some software to format a normal hard drive to a PS2 HDD, because I've I could get a 40 gig HD for $20 instead of paying $99 for Sony's...

2. Games   -   #2
    You can use just about use any new hdd out there (beside WD) with the ps2. I plugged my 80 gig into my ps2 and it fit. The problem is you have to get the formatting tool, also known as HDTool. If you have a mod-chip you can burn the formatting tool to disc and format your ps2 hdd so you can use it. You use the hdd as a huge mem card. Download game update, new maps, and characters and stuff. You also need the network adaptor (n/a) so you can plug your hard drive into your ps2. You can find the HDTool here.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

3. Games   -   #3
    I couldn't find that HDTool on that website. Could you link me directly to it?

How do I use this tool? Do I just pop the extra HD in my PC and run that program? Or do I burn it and put it in my PS2? I have a network adapter, but I don't have a mod chip, but I can borrow a friend's boot disc and slide card. Will the HDTool formatted HDD function exactly like the PS2 hdd? Or will there be things I can't do with it, like connect online because of that DNAS stuff?

4. Games   -   #4
    Ill look for it. You will plug your hdd into you N/A, assuming you have one that fits. Then you plug that into the expansion bay in your ps2. Ive heard of people formatting it with the swap/slide methods. You will have to format your hdd on your ps2 as it doesnt use the NTFS or FAT32 based systems. Then download the HDTool and burn it. Use the swap method to boot it up and you should be ready to go.

It will be like you getting the $ony version of it. You will be able to use it for games such as SOCOM to get new maps and stuff. So far noone has been able to find a way to play games straight off of the hdd.

It looks like almost everyone who had it on their site got rid of it. Ill keep looking though.

5. Games   -   #5
    Bowen747x's Avatar Poster
    i dont have the ps2hdd(yet) but i think its worth it 4 socom II which i think is a great game and if ur into ff11 but other then that i dont think too many games support the ps2hdd butmore will i hope
    tYiA

6. Games   -   #6
    EA games do, socom, all the FPS that will come out in the future will. Theres others but i cant remember.

7. Games   -   #7
    Thanks for the advice, please keep looking for it!

8. Games   -   #8
    So, anybody find it?

9. Games   -   #9
    Bowen747x's Avatar Poster
    look for and find what???? we alrdy no about the hdd
    tYiA

10. Games   -   #10
    HAH! I finally found it. Apparently everyone got rid of it because DMS (the mod-chip company) was allowed to make a tool to format a non-sony hdd. Ive been told that you can use this tool w/o needing to have the DMS3 mod-chip. Here the link for the download.

DMS Website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast