Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Do You Think About This

bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    I think with that hose it brings cool air straight to the cpu...it doesnt bring hot air out.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@23 March 2004 - 20:30
    I think with that hose it brings cool air straight to the cpu...it doesnt bring hot air out.
    no, i think he is saying to connect that hose to my tornado case fan (which expells outward) and connect the other end of the hose to the heatsink (which would make the tornado basically suck air past the cpu and out the hose) right?

and where is that hose from? link?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    I think hes saying put the tornado on your CPU...or just put it on the other end of the hose on the case..and have it suck air out...but thats not what it does...you should have the case fan blowing IN to bring cool air directly to the cpu
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Micro,
    I think BidDawg is correct here.
    Most heatsinks yield better results if you blow air onto them as opposed to sucking air through them.
    You can of course experiment and see for yourself...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    FlyingDutchman's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³+24 March 2004 - 03:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mïcrösöül°V³ &#064; 24 March 2004 - 03:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@23 March 2004 - 20:30
    no, i think he is saying to connect that hose to my tornado case fan (which expells outward) and connect the other end of the hose to the heatsink (which would make the tornado basically suck air past the cpu and out the hose) right?

and where is that hose from? link?[/b]

You&#39;re right Micro, I meant bringing hot air from the CPU through the hose to the outside.
    That way you prevent the hot air from increasing the case temps even more.

For sale at Directron or, for in Europe, here

Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@24 March 2004 - 03:40

I think hes saying put the tornado on your CPU...or just put it on the other end of the hose on&nbsp; the case..and have it suck air out...but thats not what it does...you should have the case fan&nbsp; blowing IN to bring cool air directly to the cpu
    Yes, many people use the Badong that way, but I think that&#39;s wrong. See below for an explanation.

<!--QuoteBegin-clocker
    @24 March 2004 - 14:57
    Micro,
    I think BidDawg is correct here.
    Most heatsinks yield better results if you blow air onto them as opposed to sucking air through them.
    You can of course experiment and see for yourself...
    [/quote]

The Alpha Pal (this model, and the previous ones) is one of the few heatsinks that perform better in &#39;sucking mode&#39;
    Check this review again.

Simplified:

A PC draws 180 Watts from the mains, and all this power is transformed to heat in our PC. (not totally true, some energy comes out as sound and as light, but the amount is of no importance.)
    About 60 Watts worth of power in the PSU.
    About 60 Watts worth of power by the CPU.
    About 60 Watts worth of power by other things like graphics card, board, disks, fans.

As the airflow in the PSU goes from case to outside we don&#39;t need to worry about the heat created in the PSU. We DO need to make sure that the air entering the PSU is cool enough to cool the PSU it self.

So 120 Watts of power is transformed into heat in the case. When we are able to capture half of that amount as soon as it exsists, and bring it outside, then already half the problem is taken care of.
    Everyone will understand it&#39;is much easier to cool your graphics card, northbridge and disks with air 26 degrees Celcius than doing it with air 32 degrees Celsius. The same goes for the PSU.

Blowing cool air from outside onto your CPU will cool it more than my solution, but then the heated air is released in the case, and you have all kind of troubles getting it out again. Besides, injecting air into the case up high distrubs the natural airflow in the whole case, and your graphics card and disks may suffer from it.
    This way of cooling equals &#39;vacuum-cleaning without a dustbag". Sure, the vacuum-cleaner has better suction without a bag, but the appartment won&#39;t get clean.

You can use different solutions to suck air through the CPU-heatsink:
    1 Case fan at the end of the hose,
    1 Heatsink fan pushing air through the hose,
    or both at the same time.

As a general rule: cooling air should enter the case low down in the front, and leave the case high at the rear.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    thanks for the link dutch. the case i am running in now has 1 case fan blowing out in the rear, and a air inlet slot at the bottom of the front of the case. as a side note, i own a hepa air cleaner, ya know, those big round things that clean the air in a room. anyway, it needs the pre-filter changed every 3 months or so, and the filters come in one size, and you trim it to fit around the hepa filter. there is always big pieces left over, and i had a EUREKA moment, and now i use those leftovers to put under the front bezel to stop all the crud from getting sucked into my PC. it works awesomely. (off topic a bit, i know) you can buy the pre-filter material at Sears for like 9 bucks, and if you did, there is enough to replace it in the PC for prolly a year or more, cuz the roll is like 3 feet long by 2 feet wide. also, the material will clean the air better than anything else, cuz its meant to keep the dust off of the HEPA filter (which costs 40+ bucks), and a pc fan dont move anywhere near the amount of air that hepa cleaner moves (it replaces the air in a 24x24 foot room 6 times every hour). i didnt realize i was gunna write a book about this, maybe this post is meant more for a suggestion thread or sumthin.

ooooohhh............UPS is gunna drop my new case and fans and PSU off at 6pm EST. im all excited now
    im kinda pissed that i cant find my ASUS bezel sticker

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@24 March 2004 - 18:12
    thanks for the link dutch. the case i am running in now has 1 case fan blowing out in the rear, and a air inlet slot at the bottom of the front of the case. as a side note, i own a hepa air cleaner, ya know, those big round things that clean the air in a room. anyway, it needs the pre-filter changed every 3 months or so, and the filters come in one size, and you trim it to fit around the hepa filter. there is always big pieces left over, and i had a EUREKA moment, and now i use those leftovers to put under the front bezel to stop all the crud from getting sucked into my PC. it works awesomely. (off topic a bit, i know) you can buy the pre-filter material at Sears for like 9 bucks, and if you did, there is enough to replace it in the PC for prolly a year or more, cuz the roll is like 3 feet long by 2 feet wide. also, the material will clean the air better than anything else, cuz its meant to keep the dust off of the HEPA filter (which costs 40+ bucks), and a pc fan dont move anywhere near the amount of air that hepa cleaner moves (it replaces the air in a 24x24 foot room 6 times every hour). i didnt realize i was gunna write a book about this, maybe this post is meant more for a suggestion thread or sumthin.

ooooohhh............UPS is gunna drop my new case and fans and PSU off at 6pm EST. im all excited now
    im kinda pissed that i cant find my ASUS bezel sticker
    tiger direct has a set of like 25 (i think) stickers for only like 1.99 CAD. in the US its probably cheaper, so you could buy them there if you want hoping it has the fron besel sticker or you can use some of the other stickers instead.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2

You can make your own stickers. (If you don&#39;t like this picture then you can find others.)

Resize image... Photo print them onto photo paper and apply a thick glossy clear tape over the printout and cut to size.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    thanks VB, ill try that

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    BANNED
    pretty nice cooler, and I love the stickers part

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12