Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Network

Hi,

I need some advice. I ahve two desktop pc's both running win xp pro. I have bought 2 d-link wireless pci cards. Do i also need an access point to connect the pc's|?

If i wanted 2 share in ternet connection can i just use a router instead of an access point?

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    I share my internet with my Laptop and my downstairs PC, All I use is a Wireless USB Network Card in ad-hoc mode.
    I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, so me downloading it for free isn't losing them any money.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    You can use wireless cards on their own, although range could be a problem. You would lose out on many of the security features available though.

Most (probably all) wireless routers are access points too. That would also solve network security problems.

Edit: remember that many routers are just that - they need a separate modem with ethernet connection. If you haven't got one shop around. You can get wireless modem/routers which perform both functions in one unit.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Good point lynx.
    I forgot to mention that, anybody within a 100 meter radius can tap into your network if you use wireless usb.
    I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, so me downloading it for free isn't losing them any money.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thanks for that.

It does now create another problem though. I have installed both d-link cards on the seperate machines. However when i come to set them up there doesnt appear to be any signal.

When i use the wizard it says they device is disconnected although it is fine in the system..!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Unless there are some serious hackers around, that shouldn't be too much of a problem, always assuming that without the router there's no internet access, so they can't really steal the bandwidth.

Edit: referring to network security.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    What model?

I'll see if I can find some info.

Also, make sure they are fairly close so you know you haven't got range problems.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    d-link du 520!

its starting to really annoy me. will move the pc nearer and check that

thanks

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    DU 520 is a usb adapter not a wireless network card.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    nope. i have brought the p.c downstairs. they are sat right next to each other and it still says 'not connected'!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast