Thread: Desktop.ini

Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Not sure where to put this, but hope it's OK here.

My "My Music" folder is riddled with these desktop.ini files (one in every folder within it). I think I understand what these do, but how do I get rid of them? They don't show up in explorer or if I search for the filename. Any ideas?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Don't delete them. Desktop.ini is a system file that can be found in every folder.

They don't appear in searches because they are 'hidden'. To change that, open explore, click tools then folder options, then go to the veiw tab, and make sure 'show hidden files' is checked. Then, they will appear and you can delete them, if you want to.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    They don't appear in searches because they are 'hidden'. To change that, open explore, click tools then folder options, then go to the veiw tab, and make sure 'show hidden files' is checked. Then, they will appear and you can delete them, if you want to.
    That's the trouble, even with "show hidden files" enabled I still cannot see them. The way I found out they were there was when browsing through my own files on soulseek, which is why I only noticed the ones in "My Music" folder. No-one else seems to have them showing up.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by Skillian@9 March 2003 - 20:51
    That's the trouble, even with "show hidden files" enabled I still cannot see them. The way I found out they were there was when browsing through my own files on soulseek, which is why I only noticed the ones in "My Music" folder. No-one else seems to have them showing up.
    Go back into explorer options, and uncheck hide protected operating system files.

hth

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    OK thanks, I can see them now. But this makes me wonder if they are safe to delete. As far as I know, they are what makes the folder show the image of the album cover in thumbnail view (in this folder at least). Is this right?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I think they do many jobs, something I know they do is list a certain DLL for use somewhere. I wouldn't delete them, they're tiny in size so it's not like they eating disk space, just leave em be.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    OK man, thanks for your help. Appreciated B)