Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (oem Bare Drive)

I am shopping for an additional HD, this is what I am thinking about buying.

Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus D740X 6L080J4 80.0GB, 7200RPM - <8ms seek time, 2MB cache buffer, ATA-133/100 internal hard drive, (OEM Bare Drive).

for 80 dollars.

My question is what does (oem bare drive) mean?

If I am installing it as a slave drive would I need to buy case for it or something?

Is there anything else I should know about this model? 80 gig for 80 bucks seems like a good deal.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    It&#39;s a good deal. Check warr. is it 1 or 3yrs.? Do you need a case? Check your tower. And what about s&h cost?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Not sure about shipping and handling or the warranty.

The deal is coming from "next hardware shop” their site doesn’t seem to list such information.

http://www.nexthardwareshop.com/max800gb72ua.html

not too woried about the warenty however, i am sure if it doesnt work i can return it... and if it does work then i will have blind faith that it will last a while. it will be a slave drive with just crap that i down load on it... so if it dies in a year it wont be the end of the world.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I think it means no software included .You have to go there(manufacturers) web site and download the setup program on a floppy(maxblast I believe) check out the manufacturers site before hand the software makes it easy to set up the drive...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    &#39;oem&#39; means Original Equipment Manufacturer. I just means that it will not have the packaging for retail consumers. It will problably be in a brown cardboard box or something similar.

It&#39;s exactly the same product and you don&#39;t need any case or anything. Just a lower price. And as zapjb said sometimes they change the warranty period for &#39;oem&#39; products.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    The shipping is ridiculously expensive.

14.95 for their cheapest ups ground.... I added 2 sticks of ram and the shipping was 27 dollars.

What a joke

It is probably 5lbs, which should cost like 8 dollars for ups ground not 27.

Oh well

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    If your in the states try Best Buy, NewEGG, PriceWatch or Circuit City. And for myself warr. is very important.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Hmmm, 27 bucks shipping for a hard drive, and two stick of ram? UPS ground? ouch... go here... Price Watch - The best PC part retailer database

But ya, I will never, ever, buy a hard drive with a one year warranty, just not enough for me. I would make sure you get a drive with at least 3 years. Contact the retailer, or the manufacturer before u purchase.

I got my oem drive on ebay, just sealed in the anti static bag, and even it still has a 3 years warranty from the manufacturer.

As far as setup, depending on what OS you are using, theres a good chance you wont even need any software. XP installs most hard drive alone by itself, no added software needed.

And if its oem, the only thing u may need are screws.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    If I buy an OEM drive, am I going to have to buy any cables if so which ones.

I pretty sure my computer has cords in it. Would these cords connect to cords that I would need to buy from the drive... or just to the drive directly?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    if you buy a maxtor hd there return policy is very very good they will replace it and ship it for free.....for this service u contact maxtor direct by email they send you a tracking no and then send you the correct packaging to send back you pay by credit card for this but once disk arrives back the credit is retured to you to destroy the slip..... and you have a shiny new hd ready to go

the software is called maxtorblast plus II i have used it install a 60 gig drive as my mother board would only allow 8 gig max it is often called easy bios....alot of read me files help if not sure..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast