Thread: Laptop Cd Drive Not Working -no Driver

My CD/DVD combo drive just stoped working when I was uninstalling some drivers. I may have uninstalled it on accident. Regardless, I need to reinstall the driver. After going to device manager and looking at properties this error message came up...

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Fine, ill reinstall the driver. Great, the driver is on a CD and the CDrom cant detect the CD that the driver is on. I do have a floppy and a USB key drive which I can use to possibly find the driver and install it that way. But I havent been sucessful with that either.

Trouble shooting with windows dosent help. I go to roll back driver and there is no driver there, I go to update driver and it dosent recognize anything on the A drive orthe USB as being my drivers. Nothing seems to be working!!! Please HELP!!! :helpsmile:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    there r lotsa ways to do it...
    • networking may help (a direct connection or sumtin else like a lan boot) it needs no drivers (most of the time.)
    • try an external cd as those almost never require drivers(on winXP,2k) (borrow one just long enuf to install the drivers for the first cd)
    • im not sure if system restore does this but duz system restore hold copies of drivers incase they get wiped?...
    • heres one that may work: try going into the bios. it may be that you disabled it thru there and windows still sees it for some fucking gay reason. if it is disabled then reenable it. then go2 winfux and see if it works.
    • if it is still there, but windows is an ass (or it was already enabled in the bios) make sure that the CD boots b4 the hdd, and (if u have a driver recovery cd) put it in when ur comp starts during the bios mem check/logo screen. unless the drive or the mobo is damaged, the driver recovery CD is guaranteed to work. of course, this can ONLY work if the driver cd can boot on its own and doesnt need winfux.

i feel for you man. ive been in this position before and i fucking HATED it!

i wish you luck.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Download the driver from the makers web site.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@25 March 2004 - 14:09
    Download the driver from the makers web site.
    i feel like an asshole for not saying that too

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    @atiVidia your avatar isn't showing anymore.

I checked the source url and it says "If you're reading this, it means this page is no more."

Why not use the board's server for your avatar?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Great suggestions......... now let me explain what happened.....

System restore - tried it, and it changed nothing

Downloading it from the providers website - went to dell for my inspiron 2650 and downloaded newest driver and old driver. Executed both and both did not detect a drive.

Went to add hardware and windows does not detect any new hardware yet when I go to device manager it has a ! and a yellow mark on both cd and dvd drive. Ok so I uninstall them so the system knows they are there but no drivers are there for them. After this it sees that they are not there and the driver is missing our corrupt so it asks to install it but the driver is on the CD and I cant run CD's and I cant use the files I downloaded because they are flash files which automaticaly insert the drivers, so forget that.

Changed start up to have CD load first and put in driver recovery disk. It ran through the whole thing and did diagnostic checks on almost anything and the CD and DVD worked great. Started it up and still nothing was there.

Went to msconfig and played around with that, no luck

Tomorrow I will try the hooking up to a lan line and seeing if I could work it through that but Im not sure.......

My final option was to take off all my stuff that was important and then format the whole drive and reinstall the system from scratch, think that would work? Its ok that I do this cause im selling it anyways and I needed to do that this week....

Thanks for all the input, anything else that helps will be gladly appreciated

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by hebronsb@26 March 2004 - 02:20
    Great suggestions......... now let me explain what happened.....

System restore - tried it, and it changed nothing

Downloading it from the providers website - went to dell for my inspiron 2650 and downloaded newest driver and old driver. Executed both and both did not detect a drive.

Went to add hardware and windows does not detect any new hardware yet when I go to device manager it has a ! and a yellow mark on both cd and dvd drive. Ok so I uninstall them so the system knows they are there but no drivers are there for them. After this it sees that they are not there and the driver is missing our corrupt so it asks to install it but the driver is on the CD and I cant run CD's and I cant use the files I downloaded because they are flash files which automaticaly insert the drivers, so forget that.

Changed start up to have CD load first and put in driver recovery disk. It ran through the whole thing and did diagnostic checks on almost anything and the CD and DVD worked great. Started it up and still nothing was there.

Went to msconfig and played around with that, no luck

Tomorrow I will try the hooking up to a lan line and seeing if I could work it through that but Im not sure.......

My final option was to take off all my stuff that was important and then format the whole drive and reinstall the system from scratch, think that would work? Its ok that I do this cause im selling it anyways and I needed to do that this week....

Thanks for all the input, anything else that helps will be gladly appreciated
    go ahead and format it, if you will be doing it anyway. my gues is that it will probably fix it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!

RE: CD-RW Has disappeared from XP

There are 2 reg keys that screw the device, I removed them both and re-scaned for PnP (or rebooted) after removing the device & all was well. The keys are: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} - "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters".

1. Click on START button, the click on RUN
    2. Enter REGEDIT and press enter
    3. When REGEDIT starts, open up the following folders
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4. After clicking on {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:
    "Upperfilters"
    "Lowerfilters"
    Click on each of them, press DELETE and click YES.

Then close REGEDIT, shutdown & restart your PC

IT WORKS!!!!!!