Thread: Hard Drive Problem

TRshady
    Hi everyone, I really need some help. I have just purchased a new case,motherboard (K7S5A pro) with a processor (AMD athlon xp 1800+) with the heatsink & fan. So I managed to setup it up ok, using parts from my old pc (like cd-rom etc). But When I tried to use my 40gb hard drive which had windows 2000 installed I keep getting a message on startup saying to check my hard ware configuration or boot path. I tried my 500mb old hard drive with windows 98 and it works fine. The 40gb is nfts (is this why?)
    So when I use the 40gb as slave it's detected on startup but when windows 98 loads the hard drive isn't there in my computer. I would love to make the 40gb master with windows 2000, someone please help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    DARKSHADOW's Avatar Poster
    With the 40g as master have u checked the bios is also setup correctly like bootin order and ide channels

also with the 98 thing it can't detect it in my comput because 98 is fat or fat32 so it cant read nfts

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Dunno bout the first part, buy ya, u cant use that drive formated as NTFS on windows 98, it cant see it.

If it was my tech problem to solve. I would download/get/buy a xp bootable disc, boot to the cd, and install that onto the 40g drive.

You can reformat the ntfs drive if you want, to fat, or fat 32, but then you would have to run 98.

If u insist on running 2000, I dunno. Check in ur bios to see taht you are booting from the correct drive, etc.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    TRshady
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@10 March 2003 - 10:24
    Dunno bout the first part, buy ya, u cant use that drive formated as NTFS on windows 98, it cant see it.

If it was my tech problem to solve. I would download/get/buy a xp bootable disc, boot to the cd, and install that onto the 40g drive.

You can reformat the ntfs drive if you want, to fat, or fat 32, but then you would have to run 98.

If u insist on running 2000, I dunno. Check in ur bios to see taht you are booting from the correct drive, etc.
    Oh, so thats why I can't see the drive when I use it as slave on win98, thanks. So how do I format a nfts hard drive. I can't get format C: to work (nfts isn't dos) and fdisk says there's no disks present. I'll try and play about with the bios.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ex-member
    There is a tool you can download called NTFSDOS which allows you to see ntfs partitions from DOS, just google for it and you'll find it...

Once you've run NTFSDOS from DOS, you need to use fdisk to delete the NTFS partition(s). Then you need to create a new Primary DOS Partition (fat32).
    After that you need to reformat.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    TRshady
    ok, thanks lamsey, I'll try that now. Back in 10 mins.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    i'd say either try to get a boot disk, play around with bios, and if all else fails, wipe out the HD

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    TRshady
    OK, Iv'e manged to get the hard drive working, so I installed windows 98 then upgraded to 2000 pro. It installed fine but on start up after the windows 2000 intro screen the screen goes black and stays that way.
    In safe mode I chose to scan disk on restart and when chkdsk got up to step 5 gets to about 70% then displayed this message

***STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0xBFE47206, 0x00000000, 0x0000000C KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

***Address BFE47206 BASE AT BFE3C000, DATESTAMP 38178976 - NV4.SYS Then mentions it could be due to my video adapter or bios. Please help!