Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pop Sucks

vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    /me hides for cover

I disagree....some pop is absolute crap, but I quite like some stuff. I think it's impossible to categorise music in such a way as to say that ALL pop is bad.

I like to listen to all music, pop, rock, indie, punk, heavy metal, even like classical stuff now and then. It depends on the mood in which I am in.

I have a compilation CD in the car which has Greenday, Iron Maiden, Oasis, Blue and Liberty X on it.

Yes, some pop, eg. Mr Blobby, Cheeky Girls is crap, but then again, there's a lot of everything else which is also crap.
    <insert signature here>

2. Music   -   #22
    Pop Sucks&#33; The person in the office next to mine, plays it all the time.

3. Music   -   #23
    I actually thought that many more people would disagree than this. But I agree, pop sucks monkey b@lls.

Now, the problem comes with categorizing Pop. Where are the boundaries. Does Pop just refer to popular bands/musicians or is it an actual kind of music. Now I agree, Britney Spears and NSYNC would be considered Pop and that their music blows, but where is the line drawn?

4. Music   -   #24
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    exactly my point...

is coldplay considered pop? Pete Waterman described their single "Clocks" as "the greatest pop tune ever...It&#39;ll be around at least 25 years" (Radio 1)

but looking at people files, on SS, most people have Parachutes album...so it must be good
    <insert signature here>

5. Music   -   #25
    POP can kiss my rosy cheeks &#33;&#33;
    What&#39;s with pop idol ?
    That is the biggest pile of poop that ever has been &#33;&#33;
    How can they be called idols ?
    True alan , very true... why should they be idolised when they havent done anything good....

p.s are u the same alan that started the newbie post??

6. Music   -   #26
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by DataMore@10 March 2003 - 12:53
    Pop music is sh&#33;t in its pure form&#33;
    Pop shouldn&#39;t even be called "music".
    It&#39;s just a way of making money using people&#39;s image, it has nothing to do with music.
    Speaking of perception.............I am a thirty year old man who would sell out in a second to make pop star money.
    I have been laid off from work for most of this year and it&#39;s been rough going for my family.

I have played in bands since 16(drums)and it can be a grind,but I love music and playing the drums for a living would beat the shit out of working my fingers to the bones 60 hours a week(like I do now).

They all sell out in the end............as soon as you sign your name on that contract your bought........but so what.
    Money can&#39;t buy happiness............but I rather have my bills paid and be sad then be broke and sad.

If your not going against what you believe in(morals or what not)
    then who gives a fuck how you shake your ass for a buck&#33;

There is plenty of great Pop out there and buy the way some of the shit people are calling Punk these days sure sounds like Pop&#33;(I wont mention names)
    and I am a hardcore lover of Punk......I listen to everything from Nirvana
    Fugazi,The Ramones, ...to.....The Beatles to Prince.

So lighten up and dance a littel

Peace brotherdoobie

7. Music   -   #27
    Poster
    im not much for debates such as this however reading this thread prompted a quote to flash in my head,

Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?
    john cusak: high fidelity

8. Music   -   #28
    Poster
    Pop music just provides a distraction from the real world,and continues to provide middle-aged men & women (producers/record company execs. etc.)with vulgar lifestyles,in much the same way as Rap etc. provides a way for mainly black artists to escape their roots & flaunt gold chains & stuff like that,the cost of which would feed the ghettoes,which they pretend to care about,for a fortnight.
    It&#39;s just a fast track to making huge sums of money,which some folks will always think of as the true way to happiness.
    I don&#39;t listen to much mainstream &#39;pop&#39; but I do believe the world would be a duller place without it.

9. Music   -   #29
    Poster
    yes, in general pop music &#39;sucks&#39;. However, that is mainstream pop music. There are some musicians out there who do the equivalent of pop music who are genuily tallanted musicians which create thier own songs and can sing great. I still however personaly dislike the style of music as I am a rocker born n raised but still can appreciate that the music some of these tallented pop artists create is musically good. Not for my ears, but for others.

The reason (especially in the uk) why mainstream pop music is so popular as because i think a large precentage of our population is filled with pre-pubesant teens thriving to see more hotties dance arround in short skirts. haha, well I am one but thats not my point. In their age group 6- 14 they follow what is preceived to be "cool" my the advertising companies. If someone who is said to be cool on tv likes Britney Spears then she is going to number one, for uk is filled with thousands upon thousands of teen-sheep who will follow any craze be it gogo&#39;s (remeber them?) or a peice of string that sticks to the roof, it its said to be cool then it will sell like mad.

10. Music   -   #30
    How do you define "pop"? It&#39;s not just Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys or whomever. It contains all those one hit wonders.

I have a whole song list of "pop" songs I enjoy when I work out. They fill me with transient energy and don&#39;t tax my mind. Fly, I get knocked down, break my stride, 99 red balloons, walking on sunshine, jump, walking on the sun, what is love, run runaway. Heck, I even have a Spice Girls song&#33; All banal little songs, but serving a purpose.

Pop is like suger, stimulating but not sustaining.

You people are giving the population as a whole far too much credit. Anybody can enjoy a stimulating picture (nude model, sunset, race car, etc.) but only a few can really appreciate art. The texture, the layers, the context, the contrast, the stroke pattern, the color scheme. These are all points for the officianados of the genre.

You don&#39;t expect the fans of Jerry Springer to appreciate Picasso or Monet, so don&#39;t expect any more from the them when it comes to music. These people are the masses, these people make you rich. I would put out a Pop album in a heartbeat. Once I had my money, then i could concentrate on my "art".

Besides, Kid Rock, Vanilla Ice, Christina Aguilera (sp), Eminem just didn&#39;t emerge from a pod to produce a record, they went through years of hard times and disappointment before you even heard of them. Most have been in the business since they were children. Although I don&#39;t own their albums I do respect them for their dedication.

So, if producing "pop" were so easy we could all do it. For every success you see there are hundreds, thousands of failures. These people have talent and dedication and succeed in a very competitve field. I couldn&#39;t imagine living in a world of deep thoughts and musical complexity, sometime I just need to be stupid and pop welcomes me with open arms.

So, get of your high horses and give a tip of the hat for what these popele have done. Sure, Pop is glorified by the masses and you feel insulted because true art is ignored (not able to be appreciated), but that this life. Most people are average or idiots, this will not change and, therefore; true art will always be lost on the mainstream. Just learn to enjoy what you can appreciate and don&#39;t worry yourself over the masses.

A true shepard does not value the opinion of the sheep.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast