Thread: Barton 2500 Question

Poster
    I may have a good deal on a used Barton 2500+ and two sticks of OCZ 256mb PC2700 ram(the ram is new) but want to knwo what week the processor is because I obviously want an unlocked one.
    The guy that is selling it says that the date code on it is 0306 .I don't know if he is taking the right number off of it or not.Does anybody know exactly what to look for to figure out which one it is.Thanks in advance.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    the Bartons after week 39 of '03 are multiplier locked, but you will still be able to easily overclock it to 3200+ speeds just raising the fsb from 166 to 200. so that is good enough unless you want to overclock further than that.

im not sure how you tell when it was made though...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Get faster ram if you can.

Although that processor MAY be unlocked, you won't see the full potential unless you increase the FSB. If you increase the FSB without increasing the ram speed you will have to run it asynchronously which gives you a performance drop. If you don't increase the FSB you still get a performance drop since the memory is only running at 166MHz, although the drop won't be as great.

Of course, this assumes that your mobo can handle the faster speeds too.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    It's not very important that it be unlocked since you can always up the FSB even on a locked CPU. Also they can be unlocked.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by johnboy27@27 March 2004 - 10:27
    I may have a good deal on a used Barton 2500+ and two sticks of OCZ 256mb PC2700 ram(the ram is new) but want to knwo what week the processor is because I obviously want an unlocked one.
    The guy that is selling it says that the date code on it is 0306 .I don't know if he is taking the right number off of it or not.Does anybody know exactly what to look for to figure out which one it is.Thanks in advance.
    Well, if that is the date number, the 0306, than its '03, week 6.

Which is a REALLY freaking old 2500+, not used to seeing those, I mean, minei s only a week 26 or so.

And though they are unlocked, I gotta go with VB in the fact that you usually wont fiddle with the multi much anyway, IF you are going to do the oly 200FSB x 11 multi setup that most do.

However, you will be working with lower rated ram, so the unlocked multi might come in handy for you.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+27 March 2004 - 22:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 27 March 2004 - 22:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-johnboy27@27 March 2004 - 10:27
    The guy that is selling it says that the date code on it is 0306 .I don&#39;t know if he is taking the right number off of it or not.Does anybody know exactly what to look for to figure out which one it is.Thanks in advance.
    Well, if that is the date number, the 0306, than its &#39;03, week 6.

Which is a REALLY freaking old 2500+, not used to seeing those, I mean, minei s only a week 26 or so.

And though they are unlocked, I gotta go with VB in the fact that you usually wont fiddle with the multi much anyway, IF you are going to do the oly 200FSB x 11 multi setup that most do.

However, you will be working with lower rated ram, so the unlocked multi might come in handy for you. [/b][/quote]
    that&#39;s what I was figuring.I could raise the multiplier and lower the FSb.Though I was talking to the guy today and I may actually be getting PC3200 ram from him.The ram he put up for sale just died a couple of days ago due to a motherboard failure.The shop that he bought both from is replacing the ram and motherboard for him.They don&#39;t even sell OCZ PC2700 anymore so he is not even sure whether he will get 2700 or 3200.The ram will be brand new and I will be getting it at 50 bucks canadian a stick (256 mb each).They are usually about 100 bucks each.The processor on the other hand is 100 bucks,kinda steep for one that old and probably beat to death.Although he did not know for sure if the multiplier was unlocked so he may not be the type to OC his gear,not too sure.I&#39;ll find out next week.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Hey, that sounds like a great deal on both the Ram, AND the processor.

Unless the processor has been running at 2500Mhz for the past year, lol, than its just as good as new ones coming out, realiability wise.

Even if it has, I dont think there is much to worry about.

Though, he doesnt happen to have the warranty book does he?