Thread: No More Linux

Poster
    If i want to get rid of linux do i just delete the partition its on and delete the swap space?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    why would you want to get rid of linux?

1. delete all partitions on your hard drive and replace them by a single FAT partition through Managing Your Partitions;

2. uninstall the bootloader (generally grub) from the Master Boot Record (MBR). To do so, boot under DOS and run the fdisk /mbr command.

If you have another OS, consult its documentation to know how to do same thing efficiently.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    If your using a bootloader and don't feel like booting into dos or the recovery console for xp then just delete the swap and the ext2 or ext3 partition and keep the boot partition.

The bootloader will still allow you to boot into windows. This is why I do not recommend installing a bootloader. Use a bootdisk, that way your mbr is untouched.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Image Resized
    [img]http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/ladies/unilinux.gif' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

so can i just delete the 2 partitions and it would be like linux was never installed or would i have to try and get xp running in dos? At the moment when i start my pc i have the option which OS to use, if I remove linux will this be gone and it will boot straight up to XP. Sorry but im a noob and dont fully understand what you posted

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED
    just delete the swap and the ext2 or ext3 partition and keep the boot partition.
    simplified 4 ya

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    so delete the linux swap file and the linux ext 3 parition (as shown in photo)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    and then XP will just start up as before

edit: i only want to get rid of linux so i can install a different version. More of a challenge

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    BANNED
    yep, only the bootloader will come up. to stop this, go into dos and type fdisk /mbr and then remove the bootloader , btw is it lilo or grub?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Marius24@27 March 2004 - 16:56
    and then XP will just start up as before

edit:  i only want to get rid of linux so i can install a different version.  More of a challenge
    If you are doing it to install another version of linux then the installer will pretty much take care of the partitions...........provided your running a user friendly distro.

You could just keep the everything and let the next version use the same partitions, it will write over all data on thoose partitions only.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    BANNED
    if your gonna do a new one, gentoo is pretty chanlenging