Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install From Windows 98 To Xp Home

When i tried to install windows xp it said that it didnt support an upgrade from windows 98. Is there anyway for me install windows Xp and keep all of the old files. The only option i have on the disk is a new installation. will i lose everything if i do a new installation.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by CoryPenwell@27 March 2004 - 15:39
    When i tried to install windows xp it said that it didnt support an upgrade from windows 98. Is there anyway for me install windows Xp and keep all of the old files. The only option i have on the disk is a new installation. will i lose everything if i do a new installation.
    do u have a burner? if so burn all of your important files you need to keep onto cds. then do a clean install.

if not then u can partition your hard drive, which splits it into two different mental drives (thats my way of explaining lol). so in my computer it will show like drive C and drive D. both will actually be one drive. you can copy all ur important files to the new one u made and then format the one with operating system and install xp to it. to partition the drive download partition magic 8 from kazaa lite.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    yeah, you could make a backup of all your progs with a backup-program. try googling for one, and ill post a link when I find one

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    What version of XP are you using? I recently upgraded from 98 to XP with no problem. Does it give you any specific reason why it can't run the upgrade? Even the MS website says you can...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/how...ding/matrix.asp

You might also want to read this page before you continue...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;316639

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    could it be becasue windows 98's default is fat 32 and xp wants (or default) is to run on NTFS? I am quite sure xp will run on fat 32 but you might have to change it to NTFS inorder to keep all your stuff..
    not sure on this. wait until someone who knows exactly what they are talking about to reply
    B)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by CoryPenwell@27 March 2004 - 14:39
    I had the same thing happen to me a while ago, before I started using linux.

I knew my comp could run xp but the installation didn't want ot hear it. I don't think there is any way of getting around this other than to reformat.

XP should be installed fresh anyway.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by scottwile@28 March 2004 - 16:39
    could it be becasue windows 98's default is fat 32 and xp wants (or default) is to run on NTFS? I am quite sure xp will run on fat 32 but you might have to change it to NTFS inorder to keep all your stuff..
    not sure on this. wait until someone who knows exactly what they are talking about to reply
    B)
    Good call. That might very well be the problem. If so, he could just upgrade to XP with FAT32, then convert to NTFS later.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Nightwolf@28 March 2004 - 18:28

B)

Good call. That might very well be the problem. If so, he could just upgrade to XP with FAT32, then convert to NTFS later.
    [/quote]
    yes, its should let you. if he could also get a program off google that would convert it to NTFS then put his cd back in and see if he gets the upgrade option instead of just the new installation?!?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs
    put this in command prompt (DOS)
    works in xp.. might work in 98.. woth a try

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by scottwile@28 March 2004 - 21:53
    C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs
    put this in command prompt (DOS)
    works in xp.. might work in 98.. woth a try
    on it wont because windows 98 cant read ntfs partitions so he wont be able to start the installation. besides, windows xp doesnt HAVE TO have ntfs to install, it can run just as well on fat32.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast