Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 150 Dollars To Burn

the mother board is
    Chipset Information:
    =====================

North Bridge: Intel 845 (MCH)
    South Bridge: 82801BA (ICH2)

I am not sure what the father board is.

One site I am looking to buy this stuff from is splitting their memory into non-ecc and ecc memory.

Just when I thought I understood all the different memory nuances what is ecc or non ecc and do I need to worry about it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Get non ecc. Do you have the brand name and model of the board?

Edit: Ecc memory is mainly used in server installations.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Compaq Presario 5000T 5PXE1.

is what I was told is the brand and model number. However on those memory configurator things like a crucial.com it doesnt list the model number 5pxe1

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I still cannot find the motherboard specifications with that information. Do you have a users manual that might have memory type and capacity specs?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    I was just told by tech support that it has a max capacity of 1gig.

since it was a custom order computer the model number of the computer isn't populated in drop down lists.

Other then the fact that it is a compaq presario 5000T-5SPXE1, and the mother board is an intel 845 I don't know much else.

What is 1 gig? 1000mb?

so 2 sticks of 512 would be 1024 exceeding a gig? would that be a problem? at some point in time I am looking to max it out.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    1 gig is 1024 megs. I will look into this tomorrow to see if I can find any more information for you.

How many memory slots are there in total on that board?

I am still trying to figure out if it is standard sdram or ddr ram.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    there are 3 slots.

I am pretty sure its sdram.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    From what I can tell your board should support more than 1 gig. I looked around to find other boards with the same chipset. Of the ones that support sdram, just about all of them support 3 gigs. Here is an example of a low level motherboard model: http://www.ecs.com.tw/products/pd_spec.asp...p?product_id=18

Note that it's the same chipset... and see it's memory capacity?

If you intend to purchase your memory at a local store, just make sure they have a return or exchange policy. Get a 512 meg stick and try it out.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Thanks for all your help on this nobody1234.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    You're welcome, and please tell us what happens with this. It may help someone else too y-a know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12