Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Kazaa Not Responding

I've been having the exact same problem as everyone else here (window frame loads, but desktop still shows through, freezes just like that). It's definitly being caused by one of the windows services. I got kazaa working fine after I closed SVCHOST.EXE in task manager (there were several in there, I got lucky and closed one that didn't restart the computer... it was the svchost using the most memory if that helps). Now I just have to go through and see which services were running under that svchost and try disabling them one by one. If I figure anything out I'll post an update.

2. File Sharing   -   #42
    BANNED
    not so if you read around you will find that most peoples problem has been the windows updated from couple of weeks ago.

give me the supenode you can't connect too

also if your kazaa is freezing up that has nothing to do with the nodes

3. File Sharing   -   #43
    n00b
    Like I said, only a suggestion. I'm not too familiar on the filesharing system. But Thanks Gaz, I'll look into it, and I hope you find what you're after. You may be the saviour of us all.

Btw. I never said I couldn't connect to a node. I suggested it could be the source of the problem.
    ========================================
    || Face the world head on while I stand by and watch... ||

4. File Sharing   -   #44
    well gee, it appears that XP home edition wasn't distributed with the program I need to see the active services under that specific svchost.exe

all I can tell is that 46 different services could potentially be causing this problem and for all I know it could be different on every computer

is everybody who is getting the problem running XP or 2000? if that is the case it makes the windows services a much more likely culprit. EDIT: since this started recently for everyone, it would be nice to know if all the people getting this problem update windows on a regular basis too

if you're getting this problem and are running XP pro could you let me know, I need a tool that only pro users have

EDIT: actually let me know if you're running XP pro even if you aren't getting the problem, I just need a file from any pro user

5. File Sharing   -   #45
    n00b
    Well, I tried closing down svchost working as part of network manager. That did nothing. Then I closed down one using memory and completely changed the apperance of my task bar. I'm using pro, so if you e-mail me, you can have the file.

[email protected]

Anyone else e-mails me apart from gaz and I will NOT be happy...
    || Face the world head on while I stand by and watch... ||

6. File Sharing   -   #46
    Well, I have good news and bad news....

Good news: I found the problem with kazaa on my system

Bad news: It should work by default in XP pro unless you changed something, and if you did your pretty windows themes have to go

I need a few other people to try this to see if it works for them.

1. Open control panel, make sure you're using classic view and not catagory view

2. Open administrative tools, open services

3. Scroll down to the 'Themes' service and right click on it, go to properites

4. Select 'disabled' in the Startup Type drop down box, click ok

5. Restart your computer

Hopefully that works

7. File Sharing   -   #47
    BANNED
    so this took care of your problem with klite and xp pro??

8. File Sharing   -   #48
    I use XP home, where themes are turned on by default. In XP pro, themes are only turned on if you turn them on yourself.

As soon as I disabled the themes service kazaa started working just fine.

9. File Sharing   -   #49
    BANNED
    hmmm i see, well i have xp home and i'm very updated and mine is on auto and it still connects.

i do however use klt k++ the registry names are a little bit different, i wonder if that has something to do with it

thx for the info tho

10. File Sharing   -   #50
    It might have to do with one specific feature of windows themes. Maybe some display feature I'm using is exposing a bug in the windows or kazaa interface. I would re-enable themes and play around with the settings but I don't have time right now, and I don't really care if themes are enabled or disabled anyway.

I also tested klt as well as klr and several others, not a single one worked until I disabled themes. Whatever was causing this, it seems to be universal no matter what version of klite you're using. I'll have to check on a few other computers and see if I can duplicate the problem sometime too.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast