Thread: Viewing Movies

Lori
    I admit it.... I am new to this... how do you get a good quality movie to watch on your TV/DVD player? The movie looks good when I view it on the computer but when I put it on a CD (using Nero) the quality is awful. Are you all watching these movies on your computer only? Or do you have any suggestions. Thanks so much for the help. Lori

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    If you burn the movies with NeroI guess you reencode them to SVCD, whereas on the PC you have avi files (avi = divx/xvid =smaller and better quality)
    You could either get a dvdplayer that is able to play divx/xvid movies, or look if your graphics card has aTV out then you can connect your TV to your PC.

A other possibility is that you encode to svcd yourself with another programm that maybe makes better quality for guides have a look at http://www.vcdhelp.com

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    This is the old computer saw, GIGO (garbage in = garbage out).

Good quality movies are there but you need to have some basic criteria to separate the wheat from the chaff.

1 Filesize/length - no more than 1 hour 15 mins per 700 megs

2 Resolution - forget anything under 600x*** unles you are desperate to watch it

3 If it says DVD/DVDrip it may be that good BUT bear in mind points 1 & 2 above.

Like Benno says a DVD that reads AVI files is a good bet. I have a Liteon LVD2001 (cost approx £120 in the UK) which produces a near DVD quality picture and Dolby 5.1 sound from avi's if they are of sufficiently high quality (most movies of this quality are split into 2 or even 3 700 meg parts).

PS In my experience re-formatting to SVCD produces roughly VHS quality.
    DOWNLOADING IS FUN - SHARING IS SUBLIME
    When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    LEEDS UNITED - WE'LL BE BACK