Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help The Newbie

Poster
    Another genius post on CNET:

THIS PROGRAMM IS DUMB YOU GUYS PUT SPYWARE IN IT PLUS IT DOESNT WORK ON WINDOWS!!! 98 SECOND EDITOIN!!!1 FIRST, MY COMPUTER IS WORKING JUST FINE AND NOW I HAVE SPYWAR AND VIRIS!! DO YOUSELF A FAVOR AND DONT DONLOWD THIS PROGRAM!!!!1 IF YOU HAVE EVER USED KAZAA, DON'T USE THIS PROGRAM, IT PUTS AN ANTI-KAZAA VIRUS IN YOU WINDOWS 98!!!1! I AM COMPUTER PROGRAAMUR"
    @ broward_B, the only reason you're finding it slow is because you're connected to a slow user, once you find a faster user, your download speeds should increase...
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Poster
    After reading this quote, I just wish I could have stabbed him/her in the face

When i try downloadin' stuff i get banned just because i dont share! (excuse me, i don't wanna get in trouble with the iaa or waste my bandwich). Queues are very high for good music (like 233 in queue for latest Britney songs&#33. Stick to Kaaza!
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Originally posted by broward_B@28 March 2004 - 20:37
    CNET...

I looked at all the negative comments. They are pretty strong. Do you feel otherwise? I don't want to expose my home network to spyware, adware, logging software and so on.

That is my concern.
    then try running blubster w/o it bitching about port scans
    and if you cant get your hands on the "clean" blubster,
    you WILL get spyware installed
    slsk has none

i have tried em both, if you wanna know my opinion, look in the poll
    (just a little hint, i didnt vote for blubster)

and as to the quote about not being able to run another p2p app simultaneously,
    i am currently running BT and slsk atm, with only a 256 meg DDR
    before that i ran emule and slsk at the same time, no probs

but hey, make yur own decision
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Poster
    Some people are fking retarded....

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Originally posted by Triadcool@28 March 2004 - 19:31
    Its faster than kazaa, nearly no songs have beeps in them and almost all songs are great quality.
    well, fk the "almost" no fakes...
    i have d/l'ed gigs from slsk with absolutely NO fakes

again, make yur own decision
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Poster
    Let me give you a tip, newbie. NEVER read the negative comments on CNET, most of them are retards that don't know what the hell they are talking about.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Poster
    Actually, the reason you get "beeps" (and clicks and pops) in the music isn't because of the RIAA - the RIAA just puts static noise into a file and shares it. (I've had a couple of those - instead of music you just get a harsh shriek that sounds like a modem. THESE are the actual "fake" files people talk about.) Music files with beeps and pops usually are ripped from CDs that have copy protection on them.

These CDs are made so that they have errors or missing sectors. An audio CD player has error-correction circuitry that "smooths over" these errors so you don't notice them during playback. Computer CD-ROMs do not have this circuitry, so the corrupted sector emerges as a "beep" sound. The way to rip these CDs is to play them through an audio CD player and run the output to your sound card's input. There is only a very SLIGHT loss of quality, and if you use a good CD player, quality cables, and a decent sound card you will not notice any degradation. Of course, once you have the digital file, you can copy it ad infinitum without any further loss.

Some CDs also play very high frequencies that you can't hear when playing, but because of the way MP3 encodes certain frequencies, this will stuff up an MP3 encoding of the song. To get around this, record the CD as a WAV, not an MP3, using the highest bitrate possible (minimum 320 kbps). Then run the file through Cool Edit Pro or similar, using a lowpass filter set high to cut off any frequency above 20 kHz. You lose a little off the top end, but that can be fixed by equalizing it, amplifying 19 - 21 kHz to 150% after you've stripped the high frequencies out. You can then encode the file as MP3 without the high-pitched squeal that results. AFAIK only very few CDs seem to have this particular protection, but I've found this is the best way to fox it when you find it.

You will find these "beeped" files on ANY P2P network (Kazaa, Soulseek, Overnet, BitTorrent, what have you) because they are not "fakes"; they are simply badly ripped from copy-protected CDs by people who don't know what they're doing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12