Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Us Gov.

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Alex H@8 April 2004 - 01:37
    I was simply pointing out how your society is quite happy to run with the status quo and not think about anything outside your simple little world until it comes crashing down around you.

Love the sweeping generalizations.

Presumably no one in the UK would have been surprised/shocked by an act on the scale of 9/11 in your country due to your hyper-awareness of global politics.

It must be really refreshing to live in a country where everyone from the fishmonger to the Prime Minister is so educated and politically savvy.
    I really look forward to experiencing this on my next visit.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. The Drawing Room   -   #52
    Image Resized
    [img]http://home.earthlink.net/~dangerousdude/3225550.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Can you imagine the mayhem that would ensue if that guy just walked in to a gun show?!

3. The Drawing Room   -   #53
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by <TROUBLE^MAKER>@8 April 2004 - 09:15
    Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://home.earthlink.net/~dangerousdude/3225550.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Can you imagine the mayhem that would ensue if that guy just walked in to a gun show?&#33;
    well i guess the amount of gun touting people in the world would be reduced suddenly

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #54
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker+8 April 2004 - 06:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 8 April 2004 - 06:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alex H@8 April 2004 - 01:37
    I was simply pointing out how your society is quite happy to run with the status quo and not think about anything outside your simple little world until it comes crashing down around you.

Love the sweeping generalizations.

Presumably no one in the UK would have been surprised/shocked by an act on the scale of 9/11 in your country due to your hyper-awareness of global politics.

It must be really refreshing to live in a country where everyone from the fishmonger to the Prime Minister is so educated and politically savvy.
    I really look forward to experiencing this on my next visit. [/b][/quote]
    Nicely stated, sir.

My sentiments exactly; couldn&#39;t have said it better myself, and a few other platitudes which I could type out, but won&#39;t, owing to my inherent American sloth and laziness, which I am loathe to address, again, because I am an American.

I feel I owe it to the international pacifist community to occasionally evince imperfection (I am American, after all).
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #55
    Poster
    the US new about Pearly Harbour AND 911 before they happened, and did nothing to stop it, hows that for government?

I don&#39;t wanna go on a big anti-American rant, although i could, but that is not the point. I just think that you Americans (and perhaps others as well) need to wake up and smell the BS the government is feeding you.

The US government is a bunch capitolists who wrap themselves in the flag and god, and 280 million ppl have fallen for their propoganda, hook, line, and sinker&#33;

6. The Drawing Room   -   #56
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Monkster@8 April 2004 - 17:50
    the US new about Pearly Harbour AND 911 before they happened, and did nothing to stop it, hows that for government?

I don&#39;t wanna go on a big anti-American rant, although i could, but that is not the point. I just think that you Americans (and perhaps others as well) need to wake up and smell the BS the government is feeding you.

The US government is a bunch capitolists who wrap themselves in the flag and god, and 280 million ppl have fallen for their propoganda, hook, line, and sinker&#33;
    Utter bullshit.

You buy all the conspiracy theories and try to tell us we&#39;re being hoodwinked by the government?

Buy a fucking clue, pal.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #57
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Originally posted by Monkster@8 April 2004 - 23:50

Well, that&#39;s me convinced.

I do believe that Alex has been dismissed out of hand, rather unfairly, though.

I do think Clocker and J2 have made light of a serious point or two.

I&#39;m hesitant to believe that America&#39;s problem with Cuba is down to Castro alone. I can&#39;t state this as fact, but common sense tells me that the US government will not be happy until the Cold War is finally won. And by this I mean that Cuba condemns her guilded shackles and embraces democracy.

I guess that Fidel&#39;s death will bring this about but I&#39;m not sure that it will be a victory worth celebrating.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #58
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I have long suspected that the US decision to pretend that Cuba does not officially exist has strengthened Castro&#39;s postion over the years, not weakened it.

Trade and a free flow of people and ideas may not have ousted Castro, but it may well have resulted in an altogether less hardline stance and a much more open society.

However, as J2 and others have pointed out, the US can trade with whomever they like.

The same is true for all States. On a rare foray into Fox News (when I actually hit the programme and not the endless weather clips) I saw an interviewer ask a Saudi oil expert if Saudi Arabia should not feel it owed it to the US to keep oil prices low. The gentleman looked at the interviewer for a moment (checking to see if he had two heads I think) and then gave a brief lecture on market economics. Trade is trade, and there are few favours out there for anyone.

With regards Pearl Harbour, I thought the conspiracy was that Churchill knew about Japanese movements, but thought it best to let things take their course as US entry would benefit Britain. This has never been proved to the best of my knowledge.

As a minor footnote, I think it was J&#39;Pol that started all this with a somewhat opaque comment regarding wars and supporting friends etc., (apologies if it was another thread). I think the point he was making was that by Jan 1942, when the US was an effective ally, we had been at war for 2 and a 1/2 years and, notwithstanding all the military casaulties, had sustained nearly 50,000 civilian deaths and a further 45,000 civilian wounded. It was like a 9/11 every couple of months for over two years with little or no support from anyone. Still, as we say over here, musn&#39;t grumble.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

9. The Drawing Room   -   #59
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by Monkster@8 April 2004 - 19:50

Oh please&#33;&#33;&#33; Prove it&#33;&#33;&#33;
    If you can&#39;t...Say you think they knew it...OR SHUT UP&#33;&#33;

I doubt the government knew about 9/11 and said "Hmmm, let&#39;s let it go...see how it plays out".
    "the Japanese are going to bomb us....let&#39;s NOT be ready for &#39;em"

I love these threads because it shows the idiocy and ignorance of some our board members. It all comes out at some point.

Some of you are on crack. You think Americans are some single conscience regarding our government and it&#39;s all pro. Many of us were against the war in Iraq. Many of us don&#39;t like Bush. j2 happens to like him for the presidency, I don&#39;t, but I don&#39;t shit on j2 for liking him. I&#39;ll just make sure I vote for Kerry.

I&#39;ve floated many ideas regarding 9/11, even that it was set up by our own government but.... those are conspiracy theories and nothing more. I thought oh first 9/11 then the Patriot Act then attack Iraq then get oil....all as a plan. Theories

Bottom line: Again, if you don&#39;t know something as fact, say that or STFU&#33;&#33;&#33;

The lot of you also like to blame America for EVERYTHING. If we thought that way, we could blame Israel for 9/11 but we hold those who actually did it and planned it responsible.

I can&#39;t believe I&#39;ve seen posts trashing...McDonald&#39;s...DON&#39;T EAT THERE. If enough of you don&#39;t then the franchise will fail and close/move elsewhere.
    This reminds me of Americans that sue McDonald&#39;s....but chose to eat there.

Alex H and Monkster and whoever the fuck else..........

Insult Bush (great I know I have and for good reason)

............Insult the American people and you insult me personally and any other Americans on this board..

FUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUU&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #60
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Originally posted by Busyman@9 April 2004 - 02:11
    FUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUU&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Hmm.

And on Good Friday too. Shame on you.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast